• 𝐂hapter 52

I sat bolt upright, gasping for breath, covered in sweat, and momentarily disoriented as I looked around quickly

I was alone in my bedroom and it was still a little dark outside. What the hell had just happened? Slowly the outside world invaded my senses. I glanced over at the alarm clock on the bedside and found that it was five something in the morning.  

When my breathing settled, I pushed my hair out of my face, groaning as I realized I had one of those dreams, the kind reading too many Nikki Sloane novels could give you.

My eyes fell to my phone on the nightstand. I picked it up, checking to see if there was any call or message but my log was empty, just as it had been for the past four days.

Honestly, staying alone in this house was starting to get suffocating without Killian in it.

I located his number and called him. We needed to sort things out, most especially now when my next appointment was approaching and we still hadn't discussed vital things concerning the baby.

His phone rang a few times before it disconnected without going to voice mail. I called again, staring at the screen. Halfway through the first ring, a recording played. "The person you are trying to reach is unavailable."

My stomach dropped. When I tried again and the same recording played, the realization that he had blocked my number hit me in the gut and although my pride was hurt, I told myself that it was going to be fine because that was all I could do; pretend it was fine until it was.

Tossing the phone away, I clambered out of bed and walked to the bathroom, stopping to gaze blearily at my face in the mirror. A pale ghost stared back at me. I'd cried so hard my eyes were red and puffy and my skin looked so dehydrated, I thought it might start to peel off.

I showered quickly, struggling to push back the thoughts of Killian that tried to invade me. I finished my shower,  dried up, got dressed, and added moisturizers to my skin before stepping out.

At work, my supervisor had me running errands for him but I didn't feel bad about it, It helped me escape the reality of how messed up my life was

Although, at some point, I ended up thinking about Killian again when I saw a boy running down the sidewalk with a balloon in his hand and his mother chasing after him with the father laughing behind. It probably wasn't a profound moment for them, but for me, I saw a happy family and I craved that happiness.