Chapter Five

6 months later.
Bucky had not seen you in six months.
He had visited the orphanage the morning after you had blocked him, only to find you had been adopted.
And he had not heard a single word from you.
He had no clue where you were.
But then one afternoon, when he was just sitting in his apartment like any other day, he found you.
He was just watching his TV, and you walked onto the screen.
'Little Miss America' - you were bound to make a media appearance again at some point.
And so there you were.
---
The crowds and cameras were all too familiar to you, and you hadn't even stepped out the door yet.
You wished desperately that you had brought something to get through this, but unfortunately your dress had no pockets, ie no way to sneak anything in.
And there was no way you were getting any privacy anyway.
You watched the small TV in the room as John Walker began talking to the reporter.
"Great... so, next, we have a little surprise for the audience..." the reporter said. "Someone very special is here with us today..."
"Are you ready?" someone asked you, pulling your arm towards the door before you had the chance to answer.
"Ladies and gentlemen..." the reporter continued.
"Smile, walk, sit, talk. Got it? Good" the person next to you instructed.
"Introducing the nations favourite daughter, Little Miss America..."
The door was opened and you were pushed forward quickly.
"Y/n Rogers!"
You forced a large fake grin across your face and waved politely as you walked across the field to the stage.
John Walker stood up and gave you a quick hug, then sat down again as you sat next to him.
The crowd finished cheering, and the reporter leant over to you with her microphone.
"So Miss Rogers..."
"Oh actually" John coughed so the attention was drawn back to him.
"Oh right" the reported smiled. "Miss Walker, I should say..."
You looked down at your lap where your hands were fidgeting, pulling at loose bits of skin on your fingertips.
"So I guess my first question is... well let's start with Steve..."
-
At home, Bucky became infuriated as he saw how clearly uncomfortable you were right now.
-
"Just in general" the reported said. "What do you have to say about the sacrifice that Steve made for the world?"
"Um, I-"
"I mean, that must have been so hard when he left you."
"Excuse me?"
"Do you think he did the wrong thing, leaving you behind?"
"No. No I don't. I think he did the right thing, and I'm happy for how his life turned out. But quite frankly, I don't think that's any of your business."
"Y/n, you don't need to be so rude" John chuckled quietly next to you.
"I'm sorry, I just-" the reporter started.
"Let's move on to the next question" you interrupted.
"Okay. Well let's move on to what a lot of people are probably thinking. Y/n, you must feel pretty lucky to be in the position you are in now..."
Fuck not this, you thought. You were not about to hesitate to tell the truth.
"You are the child of two generations of this nation's superhero. That must feel pretty great, right?"
"Yeah, right" you laughed.
"John adopting you, then becoming Captain America, it's like fate. You must be so happy about how things turned out?"
"Oh, our family is just perfect" John answered for you. "We couldn't be happier. Ever since my wife and I adopted y/n, our lives are been complete. And now that I'm Captain America, I feel like everything just makes sense."
"Aw, how sweet" the reporter smiled. "Y/n, do you have any comments on the fact that your dad is Captain America?"
You paused, figuring out what you were going to say.
You could lie and avoid all the trouble, or you could the honest about how you really feel.
You decided to go with the latter.
"My dad is Captain America" you smiled. "And I am so so proud of him and everything he has done. I love him..."
"Thank you y/n. I love you too" John smiled back.
"But John Walker" you turned to face him, "he is not my dad. And he will NEVER be Captain America."
"She's joking" John chuckled nervously.
"No I'm not."
"Do you care to elaborate?" the reporter leaned forward intently.
"No, I'm done here" you stood up. "Fuck you John."
"Y/n!" John yelled. "Can we cut to break or..."
"Y/n Walker everybody!" the reported exclaimed.
"Rogers!" you turned back full of anger. "Y/n Rogers! Not. FUCKING. Walker! Do not call me-"
-
The TV cut to an advert.
Bucky stared blankly at the screen.
He couldn't help smirking at you; he was honestly quite proud of you for yelling at Walker.
Now, he had to go find Sam to yell at him.
---
You sat on a chair by the window, leaning out as you held a cigarette carelessly in your hand.
You were feeling pretty good, despite what had happened less than an hour ago.
You looked out at the street below, so calm and peaceful beneath the stars that were shining that evening.
You tuned out all sound that was coming from inside the house so that you could admire what was going on outside.
"You gotta fucking deal with it!"
"Yeah I'm going to!"
"You can't let that little shit disrespect you like that!"
"I'm dealing with it!"
"No, you need to show some discipline! Put her in her place!"
"I said I'm going!"
"Shit" you muttered as you heard footsteps approach your bedroom door. You chucked the lit cigarette out the window and sprayed some deodorant around your room in an attempt to mask the smell.
"Y/n open this door!" John banged on it repeatedly.
"Oh fuck off!" you yelled, still making the effort to clean up.
"Y/n open it right now!"
"You can't tell me what to do! You're not my dad!"
"Y/n!"
You groaned and unlocked the door.
John pulled down the handle and swung it open in your face.
"What do you want?" you muttered.
"Apologise."
"For what?"
"You know damn well for what, now say you're sorry."
"But I'm not sorry."
"Y/n!"
"I'm not fucking sorry, John. I hate you! Now get the fuck out of my room!"
"No! I am your father..."
"You are not my father! You never will be! And you will never come close to being half the man he was!"
"I am Captain America..."
"No you are not! You don't deserve it! You are a joke! No one is ever going to-"
John hit you.
You were silenced not from pain, but from shock. He had just hit you.
"See how quickly she shut up" Olivia Walker smirked from the doorway.
Your eyes darted between the two of them, as you held your face in your hand.
"Never disrespect me again" John warned. "Or there will be consequences. Do you understand?"
You felt yourself shaking slightly, not knowing what to do.
"Do you understand?!" John shouted at you.
You gulped nervously and nodded.
"Good" John sighed, exhausted - almost like he's the one that's been through hell.