[21] The Takeover The Breaks Over

"Your turn." YN smirked, leaning back against the back of the sofa, her arms spread wide.

"I am aware, thank you." Bucky gritted out, his metal fingers tapping against the side of his face. "When did you get good at Scrabble?" He muttered, blowing a breath out.

Sam was watching with a fond smile from the other sofa, his laptop open in his lap. They had been playing Scrabble for the last few hours, and YN had won ninety percent of their rounds.

YN scoffed, looking offended. "I think your memory is getting a little grey there Buck, I've always been good at Scrabble."

It was Bucky's turn to scoff as he arranged the letters on the board. "I don't think so." He murmured. "I remember when you tried to gaslight Becca into thinking that misunderestimate was a word."

YN's mouth fell open and a loud laugh came tumbling from it. "How can it not be!" She exclaimed. "You can overestimate, underestimate, how come you can't misunderestimate." Sam and Bucky exchanged a short glance before they too let out chuckles of their own.

"How can you not hear how wrong that sounds!" Bucky argued, cocking his head as YN started to form a word. "Look, you're doing it again!"

"What?" YN shouted, frowning deeply. "Irregardless is a word!"

"No, it's not, and how do you have so many letter 'r's?" Bucky frowned.

"It is."

"It's not."

"Yes, it is."

"No-"

"The word doesn't exist, although some dictionaries list it as non-standard. People that use this word are most likely trying to sound smarter than they actually are." Sam read, a small smirk tilting his lips as YN gasped in offense.

"Well," YN crinkled her nose and Sam had to refrain from cooing in adoration. "I never liked Google." YN crossed her arms as she sunk low in her seat. "I'm over Scrabble."

"She always did this as a kid too!" Bucky laughed, tipping his head back as a laugh fell from his lips. "The second it looked like she was losing it was 'I'm bored' or 'this game sucks'." YN huffed, getting to her feet and moving to grab herself a bottle of water. "Hey, YN, I actually have a question for you."

"Yeah, Buck?" YN asked as she took a large gulp from her bottle.

"What ever happened to Ricky?" YN's lungs sucked in a breath of shock without consent and suddenly, the sip of water turned murderous as YN's eyes watered and she coughed for dear life. "Shit." Bucky was at her side a second later, smacking a hand on her back as she gasped for breath.

Once she had composed herself, YN turned to Bucky with a deadpan look. "Ricky? What made you think of him?"

"I don't know," he shrugged. "Last time I saw you, you were twelve and all you could talk about was Ricky from next door. What was he... seventeen?"

"Eighteen." YN muttered, rubbing the back of her neck. "And he got a girlfriend a few weeks after you guys left the first time."

"Ah, well." Bucky shrugged. "He was too old for you anyway."

"Not what he was saying when I was horizontal in the back of his dad's Pontiac." YN muttered. Her eyes widened as she realized that she'd spoken out loud, her gaze lifting quickly to find a pair of blazing blue eyes glaring at her. "Wait-"

"Excuse me?" YN swallowed, avoiding looking to Sam who had a hand up to his mouth covering what looked like a full body. "Did you just say-"

"Bucky it was like eighty years ago... Let's just leave it alone." YN was moving closer to the door, hoping she wouldn't need to, but in case she needed to bolt and quick.