Chapter 16

It's been weeks since I last saw either of them. My leg healed nicely, not much pain anymore. The cafe's construction went on and it's opening day.
I unlocked the door and was immediately greeted by elder people.
A lady with deep brown eyes and silver hair walked to me and grabbed both of my hands.
"You look just like your mother, she would be so proud."
Tears gathered in my eyes and I smiled. "You knew my mom?"
"Sweetheart I was one of her many regulars here. When I heard that you were the one who bought this place, I was so excited and knew I had to be here on opening day. My name is Charlene."
"Hi, Ms. Charlene. I'm sure you know my name but I'm going to introduce myself anyways; my name is Annabelle but please call me Anna."
She smiled and nodded. "Now what you got cooking pretty girl?" I laughed and pulled her to the counter with me.
The rest of the day went by fairly quickly. It was busy and I loved it. Although, I will need help. One person working here is not going to cut it.
"Anna," someone called. I turned and saw her.
"Morgan?" I smiled.
"I just wanted to come check to see how you're doing."
I raised an eyebrow.
"Okay, okay. Austin made me come check to see how business was for your opening day."
"Just tell him that I'll have his money paid back in no time."
"Anna, he's not himself. Neither is Kane but he's been better than Austin."
"They'll be fine."
She nodded. "Well, were you busy?"
"You have no idea," I sighed. "I'm gonna need help."
"I have a cousin who would probably love to help."
"Okay, how old?"
"20."
"Sounds great, send her in whenever."
"I'll call her now," she smiled.
"Thanks Mo, be safe okay?"
"I will. Love ya!" She yelled over her shoulder, walking out.
A few hours later a girl walked through my door who looked very similar to Morgan.
"Hey," I greeted. "You must be Morgan's cousin."
She smiled. "Yeah, that's me. My name is Tracy. She said you needed help around here?"
"Yes, I need help manning the front while I do the baking. Have you ever run a register before?"
"Oh yes," she laughed. "All I've ever working in is restaurants and bakeries."
"That's great! When would you be able to start?"
"Well, seeing as your closing up now, I could start tomorrow morning."
"Okay," I smiled. "Be here at 8."
She smiled. "Thank you!"
"No, thank you!" I laughed.
She waved as she walked out of the cafe. I watched her walk across the street before getting back to work.
The bell of my front door dinged. "Sorry we're closed." I walked out of my office and my throat hitched.
"Hi Annabelle."
"Austin," I croaked. I cleared my throat. "What are you doing here?" I peered out of the glass behind him.
"I'm alone," he said. His appearance was ragged. He had dark circles under his eyes. His shoulders were hunched in defeat. He looked dehydrated.
"Come here," I ordered. "Take a seat in my office."
He obliged and I walked to the door to lock it. When I turned around I was met with a hard chest. Even in his rough appearance, he was still breathtaking.
"Austin, go to my office." He didn't move. "Now," I said sternly.
He backed away from me, never once taking his eyes off me. We both made our way to my office. I sat down at my desk and he stood in the doorway, staring at me.
"Looks good," he began. "The cafe. You did a great job."
"Yeah, well I couldn't have done it without my investors."
His mouth tilted into a half smile but his eyes were sad. "Why are you here Austin?"
His mouth dropped into a frown. "I wanted, no needed, to see you."
I sighed. "I think you should go."
"Anna, I know what Kane said to you. Don't listen to him. Don't shut me out. Please, come back to me."
"Kane was right. Okay? I'm not good for you. Either of you."
"You're perfect for me. Just me, Anna, please."
I stood, shaking my head. "Austin, just go."
He grabbed my hand as I tried to scoot past him. My hand was on fire, just from his touch.
"Tell me this isn't real Anna. Tell me that you don't want me with every inch of your being. Tell me that, and I'll leave you alone."
I shook my head again, tears pooling in my eyes.
"I love you Anna."
My head snapped up. I searched his eyes for dishonesty but there was nothing. He's said it before, after my car accident. But this was somehow different. He was being real and vulnerable with me. It wasn't a plea for me to come back, it was a declaration.
"Austin," I whispered. "I can't, I'm sorry." A tear slid down my cheek.
He nodded and looked away. "Okay." He turned and walked out of the cafe. I followed him with my eyes.
I looked out across the street and there was Kane, staring at me. Tracy was in front of him, mouth moving fast, but unaware of his absent listening.
I shook my head and called Calli.
"Hey, what's up?" She asked.
"Nothing. Can we have a girls night? I need to talk to someone."
"Yes, of course! Do you want me to call Morgan?"
"No, I just want to talk to you." I felt my shoulders slouch, realizing how much I needed her right now.
"Okay. See you in a bit!"
"Okay," I said, hanging up.
I walked to the door, seeing that Kane and Tracy had disappeared, and left.