32: Miscommunication

Requested by: 

Quirk: Fairy

 It had been a long time since Shoto and I went on our last date. Final exams were approaching fast and I wasn't naturally academically gifted unlike him, so I was working day and night to try and get good scores. During the midterm exams I ended up with the lowest scores in the class, which knocked my confidence greatly as people already called me a ditz. I was determined to get a higher result, to prove to them and my family that I deserved to be at UA.

Recently Shoto had been having problems with his father again. Their relationship was on the 'okay' side for a few weeks, but now Shoto was irritated with him due to the fact Endeavour was determined to visit Rei in hospital, but Shoto was terrified it would send her into a downward spiral. He and Natsuo were fighting against Endeavour and Fuyumi about the situation, causing immense family tension, and because of this he had a short fuse.

I had noticed we had stopped spending as much alone time together as we used to, but I assumed that after the end of year exams I'd be free from studying and would therefore have more time to tend to him. I thought he knew that that would be the case, but arguments began to arise. "Shoto I'm not ignoring you, I just don't want to be at the bottom of the class again!" I tried to explain to him. "There's no need to be so uptight!"

"I'm not being uptight! You're the one who's been ignoring me and I want to know why!" He shouted.

"I've not been ignoring you!" I stood up, getting irritated. "I know there's a lot going on in your family right now, and I'm here for you whenever you need me, but I think perhaps you're not thinking straight-,"

"Whenever I need you, huh? Well what if I need you now!" Shoto asked.

"Then I'll be with you, I just need to finish this chapter- Shoto!" I called after him as he stormed out of my dorm room. "Shoto just hold on!"

"No, I'm fine on my own!" He shouted, his fists clenched. I watched him go, stepping into the conveniently open lift and punching in the button to his floor. I sighed deeply, feeling a little hurt as these small, petty arguments had been happening a lot recently. I slammed my door shut behind me, burying my forehead in my hands and hoping everything would be normal again tomorrow.

- Timeskip -

Two weeks later and nothing had changed. The arguments were more and more frequent, and I was hurt he didn't realise how much I was trying to improve myself. He didn't understand how desperate I was to get better academically, and I tried to help him emotionally but his father was applying more and more pressure onto him that he'd snap at the most random of times.

I just wanted us to be able to go back to the way we were, I wanted us to be able to sit down together and talk about what was going on without one of us getting irritated with the other. The thoughts and worries about my boyfriend were stacking up, but thankfully as I was hanging out with the girls downstairs one evening after school I was able to distract myself from them.

We decided to get together for a little girly time, it giving me break from schoolwork. Usually I'd go to Shoto, but he seemed extra sensitive today and I was scared to ask him why. I was glad I had my girls though, they were good friends and helped me in any situation which now involved distracting me from the awkwardness arising in my relationship.

- Todoroki's POV -

I missed holding and hugging her, and I knew why she was spending so much time studying. I knew she felt inferior to me because of her academic grades, but her talents laid elsewhere. Just because she wasn't academically gifted didn't mean I loved her any less, plus she was the best at combat training in the entire class perhaps aside from Ojiro but she couldn't see past the terrible grades she got in the mock exams.