009 | swish

ix

ix. but on a wednesday in a
cafe, i watch it begin again

ELIZABETH STOOD IN THE GARDEN with her father. It had only been a week since daphnes departure with Simon and she was already missing her friend.

Anthony walked over, standing and talking to her father. Him and Elizabeth still hadn't really talked about what had happened between them and she didn't want to.

"Well it is lovely to see you Viscount, maybe in the next year when my girl here enters then you could join too," he said, jokingly.

A blush spreading across Anthony's face and he chuckled, "I don't know when I'll enter Lord Monroe, but I hope I find a woman with half the beauty she has," he said.

Elizabeth blushed, tilting her head down to try and hide the smile on her face but her father noticed.

"You never know, you two would mak-" her father started to say before being cut off by a knife clinking against a wine glass

"May I have everyone's attention," Colin said and everyone turned to look at him.

Almost instinctively, Anthony and Elizabeth looked at one another, questioning what was going on. They couldn't think of anything he would like to announce.

"I have happy new to impart, I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife and she has accepted," he explained.

Everyone was silent for a minute before clapping. The tension was thick in the garden and both Anthony and Elizabeth stood there with wide eyes.

"Did you know about this?" Anthony asked Elizabeth as the two of them walked over.

He knew that she was close to Penelope and assumed that maybe she had mentioned it but Elizabeth just scoffed shaking her head.

"Congratulate the happy couple," she said as they walked over, both putting on fake and confused smiles as they greeted Colin and Marina.

☆☆☆

ELIZABETH STOOD OUTSIDE OF THE Featherington house with Anthony, Violet and Colin.

They had been invited as family members to introduce the new marriage and Elizabeth had been brought in to keep the peace.

They sat at the dinner table, Elizabeth pushing her food around the plate as she listened to thr conversation.

Although Violet had invited her to give an outside opinion, Elizabeth thought that she had only been brought along for moral support.

"Have you travelled at all beyond England Miss Thompson?" Violet asked, looking across the table at her, "It has long been Colins ambition to travel the world,"

"Never, though it is now a great ambition of mine as well," Marina said, putting on a smile.

Anthony tensed up and Elizabeth reached over, placing her hand on his shoulder as he took a sip from his glass.

Luckily everyone was so focused on Marina and Colin that they didn't notice the improper behaviour between the two.

He looked down, placing his hand on top of Elizabeths gently, he didn't want to cross any lines. When she didn't pull away, he smiled to himself.

"I am sensing a honeymoon in foreign parts," Portia suggested, "What think you Lord Bridgerton?"

He looked up, eyes wide as he pulled his hand away, "I would not like to speculate," he said, placing both hands in his lap.

"Maybe if you marry sooner rather than later, you can make use of this fine weather," Portia suggested.

Anthony and Elizabeth looked at one another, knowing that something was wrong as soon as she mentioned a hasty wedding.

"Colin is still young, I believe a lengthier engagement would be prudent," Anthony suggested.

Portia smiled, but it looked more like a grimace, "What think you Lady Monroe?" She asked.

She sat there for a second, "Well a lengthier engagement would look more respectable, a short engagement with two young members of society may make it seem like they are concealing something," she suggested.

"Why don't we take this to the drawing room, I would love to hear the girls piano skills," Elizabeth suggested and Violet nodded.

They needed something to break the ice and a change in scenery was just that.

"Lets," she said and they all walked out, watching as Phillipa started to warm up her voice by the piano.

She sat next to Violet, Anthony in the seat opposite. They were listening to Prudence Featherington play the piano forte and Philippa Featherington singing off key along with it.

Elizabeth looked over at Anthony and he pulled a face, making the girl laugh with a snort, causing the eldest Bridgerton to follow suite with a laugh.

"I'm sorry, is something the matter?" Lady Portia Featherington asked, looking at the two as they calmed themselves down.

"Oh, nothing of the sort Baroness," Elizabeth said, pursing her lips

"I'm tired, maybe Elizabeth wouldn't mind taking over from me," Philippa suggested.

"Oh no, I am okay with where I am now," she said, shaking her head at the prospects of singing.

"Come on Ada, I'm sure it would be quite rude to dismiss our hosts requests," Anthony said with a smirk.

She snarled at him before standing up, putting on a polite smile before standing next to the piano.

The girl started to play and Elizabeth took a deep breath before beginning to sing alongside the awful piano playing that was slightly slow.

The room fell silent, a blush rising on the girls face as all eyes were on her. She continued to sing, not noticing the look on the Viscounts face.

His mouth was slightly open in awe as he listened to her sing. His eyes were wide in shock as he was completely entranced in the melody of the girl like a siren calling to lost sailors. 

When the song ended, she finished on a high note, the room applauding as she just blushed, sitting back down next to Violet and thanking the Featheringtons.

Violet smiled, taking a sip of her water as she looked at her son. Clearly singers were his type.

1079 words