chapt 26 • Our Guest

My hand reached the end of the staircase, and my eyebrows furrowed together when I was staring right at Carter Rivers and his wife

His wife was a bit shorter than him, her hair was flawlessly brown and her eyes matched, she had a few freckles and now I knew where Alessio got it from. She seemed shy almost, but now I understand who taught Alessio everything he knows now when I looked at her attire.

She measured me up and down, almost shocked at my choice of wear. But I didn't care what she thought when I met those brown eyes behind clear lenses.

A smile crawled its way to my face when we locked eyes after his eyes scanned me all the way down and that blush I hadn't seen for a couple of hours appeared and I knew I made a good choice on picking the cherry lip gloss tonight.

I had chosen a dress neither Grandma and my father would never approve of, judging by their faces they absolutely despised it and I loved it.

"Honey you've already met Carter Rivers, this is his wife Cassia and their son Alessio" Grandma greets them both with a handshake and a hug.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you both" I lift my hand for his mother and she shakes it softly, then to Alessio who still hasn't been able to control his blush and the way his eyes try to take another glance down at how the black dress hugs my body.

I held Alessio's hand a little longer, "I've never gotten the chance to see you around"

"That's because he's always praying and studying, too busy to be out and meeting others" His mother pitched in and now I understood why Grandma spoke so highly of her.

When I let go of his hand, we all went inside the dining hall, Father next to Celeste, Cassia next to Carter and Alessio right beside me.

If I knew he would be the guest, I would've looked forward to this trip since it was announced.

As everyone began to talk and Celeste began to hand out the different plates of food. I rested my hand on Alessio's lap, he stiffened and paused himself from picking up his fork as he let my hand run up and down his thigh.

"Honey, have you begun to think about what you want to do after Hartford?" Cassia questions, both her and her husband's eyes set on me.

"I was a part of the council at Hartford and I wouldn't mind seeing Honey continue that" Grandma speaks before I can even open my mouth.

Well that's definitely not happening.

"I've been told I'd make an excellent lawyer" I reached for the glass in front of me.

"Don't waste your time with that nonsense, Don't pursue something that you'll potentially give up on" Grandma says but tries to mix her tone with humor.

Then they went back into a conversation with themselves and no one's eyes were on either of us. My hand traveled a little further up his thigh, I could already feel him growing hard on the side of my hand and I ate my food as if nothing was happening underneath the table.