C H A P T E R 1 4

"Figured I'd find you here, Princess," Finnick speaks in an uncharacteristically soft tone.

"Yeah? And why's that, Peacock?" She gives him a weak smile.

"Night after the games, I figured I'd find you awake," no more than that had to be said, they both understood.

He moves towards the window, where she was sat on the floor looking at the view, and takes a seat next to her. His concerned sea-green eyes focussed on her glossed over sodalite eyes, searching for any clue as to how she was feeling. To his dismay, her wall was up and her eyes weren't giving anything away.

"Big interview tomorrow huh?" He spoke softly, trying to distract her from the dream that was presumably filled with blood, gore and death.

"Yup, make way for the adored Princess of Panem," she joked about the nickname Caesar, and the rest of the Capitol, had given her.

"People will faint upon arrival throwing flowers and kisses in your direction," he replies in a mockingly dramatic tone.

"I'll kiss babies and sign autographs," her usual humour shining through the darkest of times like always, brightening up a bad situation.

"It'll be a time to remember," he smirked.

She smirks back. After a moment of silence, his signature smirk falls, being replaced with a sympathetic, understanding smile, "I feel like I should warm you about something Jessie."

She found herself blushing slightly at the nickname, thankful for the darkness of the room hiding her cheeks, she tilts her head in a confused manner, "okay?"

"You'll probably get a visit from President Snow when you get home. In case you don't, I won't tell you why but, if you do, I'll be right across from your 'Victors house' to talk, okay?"

"Finnick-," she starts, still confused, before he interrupts.

"Just promise me you'll come talk to me, about anything."

"Okay," there's a moment of silence as they gaze into each other's eyes, "I promise."

He shoots her a sad smile, "now go get some beauty sleep, princess."

She smiles lightly before standing and walking towards her room, "Goodnight, Odair."

Just before her door closes, she hears his reply, "Sweet dreams, Miller."

His gaze stays on her bedroom door for a few extra seconds before sighing, he knew what was bound to happen. She was kind and selfless, a heart of gold with a smile to match but what does Snow see? A means of money and entertainment. The Capitol saw a pretty face and great body but, whilst it were true, she was so much more. But Finnick knew first hand what she was, she was a perfect candidate for Snow's scheme of entertaining his loyal followers.

His heart aches for the girl who had no idea what was coming and most definitely did not deserve what was going to happen in the next few weeks maybe even days. He thinks, I might deserve this but she doesn't. I'd go on a thousand dates to allow her one night of peace.

AN: bit of sad cuteness. I love Finnick, he currently has my heart <3