Chapter 88

I ran my fingers across the cover of the books, thinking about what I now had at my disposal. In a way, it was like my ticket out of here, without having to leave the safety of my domain. I was still super tempted to venture out and explore the rest of the world, but right now, it was just infeasible for me.

"Mistress, we have a few things to discuss regarding the domain." Kharons' words broke through my thoughts like a sledgehammer and drug me back to reality.

"What's up?" I asked as I pushed the books to the side and turned my attention to him. My eyes drifted to the side and saw that Nyx was curled up on Alessia's lap and was out cold.

"With how your domain is set up and considering that the domain is in its second expansion phase, you may find it difficult to administer everything yourself." His words, though monotonous, carried a sense of urgency.
It made sense. It was already a lot of work making sure that everything was in order, not to mention that I constantly needed to micromanage a few things to ensure they were done. I couldn't even imagine how things would be once this domain grew even more extensive. "What do you suggest I do then?"

"Perhaps increase the government capacity to some extent. So far, it's just you and I." His teeth clacked together, sending a loud crack that echoed through the room.

I bobbed my head and thought about it. It would remove a lot of the stress off of me and would allow me to function a bit more autonomously than I usually do. I could now focus my efforts more on specific areas than focusing on general areas. I bit my lip and tried to sift through some of my ideas. "How about a council then, or a cabinet?"

He ground his teeth together as his eyes fluctuated. "That would be for the best. What do you have in mind?"

As my mind quickly threw together the idea, I spitballed my idea towards him. "Well, where I come from, the government has a cabinet function. I can appoint specific people to places and let them micromanage from there."

"I see. I already oversee the interior. The question is who wants to oversee the military." He replied as he smashed his teeth together thoughtfully.

That was very true. Right off the bat, that discounted Rikard and Flint, mostly since I needed them in the stronghold. They had a presence there that was irreplaceable for all intents and purposes. "Alessia, would you like that spot?" If I was going to be honest, I really didn't want her to take it. It would mean that she would be away more, and a part of me really didn't like the idea of that.

Relief flooded my body when I saw her shake her head. "I'm afraid not. My duty is for you. Above that, I oversee the praetorians, so I am unable and unwilling to interact with the military outside of an advisor role."

I juggled her words as she threw them at me. At least she was being honest. It made sense, though. Her entire job title was to act as my right hand. Not to mention that my bodyguards are more akin to an actual military than a small protection force now. Not that I was complaining about it. I needed to get an updated headcount from Alessia after this meeting, so I know what I was working with. "I see. In that case, I will need to create someone to oversee the military then. That way, I can mass create and then allow them to deploy the troops as needed." I highly doubt I could give my mob creation ability, but I didn't want to even if I did.

"Very well. That would give us the interior, and military. Alessia, would you mind filling the role of internal security then? You do have an entire order of assassins at your command, no?"

Alessia's gaze drifted back to us as if she were lost in the sea of her own thoughts. Her arms were wrapped around Nyx, who was still out cold and looked as peaceful as could be. "What do you mean by that, Lord Kharon?"