Chapter 4

"Very well. You may stay. As long as Thor keeps an eye on you. I don't trust you." As nervous as I was, Odin's words were so relieving. Now that I was hanging with Thor, I could figure out what was wrong. Or... I could go sightseeing around Asgard and take advantage of the opportunity. The thought brought a smile to my face, and I went to skip off, but the scruff of my collar was grabbed by Thor.

"Sorry, but you heard my father."

I outwardly groaned and followed at his pace towards the armory.

"Let's get you out of your Midgardian clothes. I'm going to put you in armor so you don't die." I laughed at the comment but stopped when I saw his dead serious expression.

In the armory, I was loaded with heavy items of clothing to get changed into. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to wear this but may as well give it a go.

I was shoved into a guest bedroom to get changed, but once I had managed to lug on the new clothes, I realized there was no way I'd be able to walk around without falling on my face every two seconds. The armor clanged on the floor as I lugged it all off again.

"Everything alright?" Thor called.

"Yup!"

I put on the loose shirt but kept my own pants. Theirs were too uncomfortable. Then I managed to effectively attach the breast plate because I really didn't want to be stabbed. The rest of the armor was deemed unnecessary, and I looked in the mirror to make sure I didn't look like a total idiot. 

Finally dressed, I gave myself a moment to look around. There was a door leading to a balcony and if I was careful enough, I could climb over to the neighboring balcony outside, then I could adventure by myself, maybe annoy Loki some more.

I knew it wasn't my brightest of ideas but what did the Watcher expect? This place was like nothing I'd ever seen and I wasn't supposed to explore it?

I tiptoed out the door, opening the door with care so as not to make it creak, and walked to the side edge.

The drop down made my stomach do a backflip, but I took a deep breath and stepped over the balcony. The other balcony looked further away now that I was here. A meter's jump should do it. Could I jump a meter? Only one way to find out. Not wasting another second, my hands let go of the balustrade and my feet leapt to the other side. My chest hit stone with a harsh thud and the stone beneath my feet slipped. I hugged the opposite balcony for dear life, grateful to have made it and heaved my body over the side.

I hadn't done anything that scary since New York with the Avengers. Even then I wasn't in much danger. Something told me this movie was different. 

With a smile, I walked inside the room, glad to know it was empty, and walked to the door at the other end. I opened the door just a slither to look outside and see Thor waiting patiently for me to exit. 

He turned around and knocked.
"You alright in there Y/N?" No answer. I bit my lip in anticipation as he knocked again, more loudly this time. "Y/N? I'm coming in." He opened the door cautiously before rushing inside, seeing as I wasn't there. Now was my chance. I sprinted across the linoleum in my bare feet, suddenly remembering I forgot to put my shoes back on. I ran until I reached a pillar and pressed my back against the coldness. Thor slammed the door back open, face thundered with anger. I had to bite my lip to avoid laughing. "Y/N!" His yell echoed along the walls, halting my breath. 

Once I was certain he was out of range, I made a beeline for the staircase leading towards the dungeon, but as I made my descent further below, a twinge of doubt wormed its way into my stomach. Loki and I weren't exactly as much as friends as I liked to believe. In fact, he made it quite obvious that he didn't like me all that much. 

The further I got down the stairs, the more that twinge turned into a swarm of butterflies. Since when did I get this nervous over a fictional character. Surely I didn't care that much about Loki's approval. But it was also mixed with a feeling of guilt at breaking Thor's trust.

Once at the bottom, I stopped before rounding the corner. I shouldn't be here. I should be doing my job. The job that a very powerful universal being gave me. The last thing I wanted was for that to be taken away from me.

"Are you going to keep lurking around that corner or are you going to be a big girl and talk to me?" Loki's voice startled me and I blushed as I walked round so I could see him. 

"I thought you weren't supposed to read my mind."

"Your defenses are down," he admitted. "And your thoughts are very loud."

Oops.

"Who's the powerful universal being?" Loki asked.

"I can't say his name." At his look of confusion, I elaborated. "He's got some weird magic hold over me that prevents me saying his name. But he's the one who gave me the amulet so I can actually come here. He's who you need to thank for me annoying you." I gave him a big grin which he scowled at.

"Terrific." He moves to sit down in front of the force field and I do the same. "So is that why you're here? To annoy me?"

"Yes and no. I also feel bad that we got off on the wrong foot."

"Wrong foot? The first time we met you intruded on my thoughts during a private conversation." His frown deepened at the memory.

Now it was my turn to glare. "Actually, the first time we met, you threw me across the room when you couldn't control me with the scepter."

Loki went to make an argument but shut his mouth realizing I was right.

"So can we maybe start again? I wasn't really trying to be your friend the first time because I knew you were... Not in the right frame of mind." 

Loki blinked at my words. "You want to be my friend?" 

"I mean, yeah. You're my favorite, remember." I gulped nervously wondering if I said something wrong as his brow furrowed in thought.

"I'm dangerous." His voice was low.

"I know."

"You could get hurt."

I snorted. "I'm supposed to be sticking with Thor during a giant battle and he's mad at me for running away from him. I'm going to get hurt either way."

"That's not what I meant," he spoke softly.

"I know." 

"Y/N!" Spinning around so quickly it hurt my neck, My eyes widened at the sight of a very annoyed Thor marching towards me. "If you can't follow the simplest of orders, I'll throw you back in there with Loki where you won't get out. Is that what you want?"

The thought of being confined with Loki was tempting, and at that thought I could feel him grin smugly from behind me. But...

"No, I'm sorry Thor." My mind raced to think of an excuse. "But being here with Loki was the next part of the film! I had to be here to make sure nothing bad happened." That was a quick lie. Maybe spending too much time with Loki was having a bad influence on me.

"Well next time tell me for gods sake." Thor grabbed my arm and dragged me away. I looked back at Loki who's emotionless gaze followed us till we were out of sight.