20

"Birthday ni Daddy tomorrow. You should go!" 

Napatingin sa akin si Hiro na kauuwi lang ulit sa Pilipinas mula Florida. "Are you going?" he whispered. Wala naman akong magagawa dahil hiling 'to ni Elyse. I just nodded and sighed heavily. 

"Yeah, I'll go." Hiro gave Elyse a small smile before looking at me again, trying to communicate with his eyes. He looked worried for me, but I just nodded to give him assurance that I'd be okay. 

I didn't want to go to that man's birthday, but Elyse begged me to go so she could have her idea of a 'complete family,' so I still went. I wore a charcoal grey tuxedo and went with Hiro to the party. 

Elyse and Hiro were just playing some game in the tissue while I was talking to our friends. "No partner yet, Ida?" I asked her. She was my sister's best friend. Nakaupo rin siya sa table namin.

"No, Kuya. Ano ka ba! I'm not trying to find love!" Ngumisi pa siya sa akin bago uminom sa champagne. "Si Eli ang tanungin mo!"

Napataas ang kilay ko roon, iniisip na mukhang may tinatago nga si Elyse sa akin. If ever she already found someone to love... I'd honestly feel glad for her. She wasn't scared of anything. I just hoped that that kind of love won't end up badly. 

Nawala ako sa iniisip ko nang tinawag kami ng photographer para sa family picture. I looked away and drank on my champagne glass, pretending that I wasn't blood-related to any of them, but Elyse held my arm and pulled me. 

"Elyse, I don't want to take a picture-"

"For me, please?" 

For her. How could I resist, right? Tumayo ako at naglakad papunta sa gitna. Pumwesto ako sa pinakamalayo kay Alfred dahil ayaw kong madikit sa kaniya kahit sa litrato lang. I didn't smile. I was just looking at the camera kahit wacky na. It was just Elyse who smiled brighter and made a wacky pose. 

I was just about to leave when Alfred talked. "You haven't greeted me yet." 

I fought the urge to roll my eyes when I looked back at him. "Happy birthday. I hope it's not your last." Then, I walked away. 

"You son of a-"

I walked faster so I could finally get out of that fucking venue. Hiro saw me, so he stood up and followed me until we reached the stairs outside the building's lobby. I sat there and put my hands on my side to carry my weight. I looked up and closed my eyes while trying to calm my breathing. 

Hiro sat beside me. "Want to leave?" 

I opened my eyes and glanced at him from the side, laughing a little. "Why are you even here? You should enjoy the party."

"Dude, I just attended this party because I was worried about you. I won't ever want myself to even be near that man." He shook his head and stretched his legs on the stairs.