Rocco in Charge - Part Two

I looked at the ground and tried not to cry while Rocco talked briefly to the principal, then he guided me outside with a hand on my shoulder. He didn't say a word to me, but by the time we reached his motorbike, tears were streaming down my face.

"She said you're delinquents," I choked out through my tears. "But you're not! None of you are!"

"Yeah that teacher's a bitch," Rocco said. "She was when she taught me, too. But you still shouldn't have sworn at her." Rocco gave me a stern look as he took his helmet off the handlebars of his bike and placed it on my head. He's come straight from college so this is the only helmet he has. I don't know what he's going to use. Nothing, I guess. What a rebel!

"You know better than to swear at people, Carrie. You're not allowed to swear at all."

I blink back my tears and look at the ground as he scolds me, not brave enough to point out that he swore at me, not five minutes ago, in the principal's office.

"Lift your face up," he growls. "I can't fix this helmet with you looking down like that."

Biting my lip in defiance, I raise my face to meet his gaze. If he notices my tears, he doesn't let on. I guess he's not going to reassure me or comfort me right now, I am in trouble, after all.

I stand still as he fiddles with the straps at my chin, tightening it up as much as possible.

"It's too big, but it will have to do," he says more to himself than me, shaking the helmet to check it's not going to move too much.

"You ever been on the back of a bike before?"

I shake my head.

"It's easy enough. Just sit in close and wrap your arms around me and hang on tight. You'll be right."

A shiver runs down my spine as I look at the big machine before me.

"What if I fall off?"

"You won't. Just hang on to me."

"What if you fall off?"

Damon grinned at me. "I won't."

I stood there, my heart pounding nervously, as he swung his leg over the bike and positioned himself on the seat, his feet on the ground on either side. He gestured to the space on the seat behind him.

"Hop on, put your feet on these pegs here-" he pulled them out and both sides. "Snug up close and hang on."

I clamber on as gracefully as I can in my school uniform and tuck the skirt tightly under my legs. I sit as close to Rocco as I can, pressing my body against his leather-clad back, and wrap my arms tightly around his waist. It's like hugging a rock.

"You work out too much," I mumble.

He turns his head to look at me. "You ready?"

"I guess," I say hesitantly, but he takes that as a yes and the bike roars into life. The rumble of the big machine between my legs is both exhilarating and scary and I squeal in excitement as we peel out of the carpark at high speed and tighten my grip around Rocco's waist.

It feels like we're flying!

All too soon, we go hurtling through the big gates and up the long driveway and down into the underground garage. Rocco kills the engine and helps me off, removing my helmet.

"Go up to your room and get out of your uniform and stay there until I come to get you. I'm going to ring Damon and find out what he wants me to do with you," Rocco tells me sternly.

He's got a look on his face that I can't quite make out, and inside, I'm terrified.

Damon is going to kill me. But before that, Rocco is going to kill me. I'm going to be so totally dead.