C H A P T E R 1 9

"Fabulous food, fabulous wine, the massages, spa treatment, nothing but the best for a Victor. It all needs to be just fabulous. Now the schedule is a bit tight. 12 days. 12 districts. But it's mostly parties, celebrations, adoring fans to greet you at every stop along the way, then we wrap it up in the Capitol. All that needs to be done is give a few speeches, wave to the crowds and try enjoy it. You've earned it."

After a few moments of silence, Jessica excused herself. She didn't feel like she earned the right to go to parties and treat herself. She killed people to get here. Besides, why on earth would the other districts want to hear what she had to say. Why would they care, she killed some of their own, what good could she possibly do?

She sat at the back of the train, watching the scenery go by, when someone entered the room. She didn't have to turn to know who it was.

As Finnick saw the girl, sat alone staring out the window, he knew he had to do something. He couldn't heal her broken mind, or fix what the games and the Capitol and Snow had done, because that's unfixable. He can, however, provide a distraction.

"What's your favourite colour?"

She looked at his sea-green eyes which resembles the ocean back home "green, you?"

He looked into her uniquely dark sodalite blue eyes, "blue."

They had arrived in the first district.

"Okay, this is what will happen. The mayor will make some introductory remarks. You will say a few words, with a brief eulogy for the districts fallen Tributes, of course. Here you are," Elaine passed her a set of cards.

Smile. Stand straight. Read the cards.

This went on for all 12 districts.

After visiting all 12 districts, they arrived at the Presidential Palace for 'the party of the year'.

Jessica walked into the party with Elaine, separate from Finnick and the others.

She was wearing a completely black dress and matching shoes. The dress was low cut at the front but still safely covered everything. It was also open back, it showed the majority of her back, though still safely covering her. Even if the she had to wear a revealing dress to this Capitol party, Bray still managed to make her feel comfortable. A power move. The greatest power comes from confidence. She was most confident when comfortable. She looked drop dead gorgeous with her matching black eyeshadow and short black lashes.

"Eyes bright, chin up, smile on. There will be photographers. Interviews. Everyone who is anyone will be here to celebrate you. Breathe it in. This is a Capitol party. Come, come."

They walk through the crowd of well dressed, clapping Capitol citizens.

She found herself cornered by a few people eating and drinking to the hearts content, "here you must try this. It's divine." The man holds out a plate of small fancy things? If she's being completely honest with herself, she had absolutely no idea what the concoction was it was that fancy compared to what she's used to.

"Oh, I couldn't possibly eat another thing." Jessica admitted.

"Of course, here. Drink this!" The woman exclaimed.

"What is it?" The brunette questioned.

"It makes you sick. So you can go on eating." The woman explains.

"How else could you try everything?" The man speaks again as if she was weird for not knowing.

"I see. Maybe later?" She politely declines before a mystery man comes to her rescue. A warm but comforting hand found it's way to the small of her back, she turned her head to identify who her saviour was and whether she should lean into their touch or smack their hand away. Seeing Finnicks face, her muscles immediately relax.

"Would you mind if I stole her away for a dance?" He flashes his 'Capitol smile', making it impossible for them to resist as they wave them away.

He dragged her away to the dance floor, "oh so we're actually dancing?" He nods. "I can't dance Finnick."

"Then I'll teach you."

"What would I do without you, my knight in shining armour," she jokes as he leads the dance. With a good partner, it was easy enough and she was quick to learn.

She had one hand on his shoulder, the other in his hand and his other hand was gripping her lower back.

Their faces were only inches apart, his grip on her back had tightened slightly. Before she could comprehend what was happening, orchestral music interrupted, "The Presidential Welcome," Finnick muttered, loud enough for only Jessica to hear.

Elaine finds them, "you two, come, the President awaits."

Finnick stands by her side, a comforting arm wrapped around her waist to keep her secure knowing this was the first time she was seeing Snow since their 'chat'.

"Tonight, on this, the last day of her tour, I'd like to welcome our new Victor. A young woman who embodies our ideals of strength, beauty and value." President Snow raises a glass as the lights turn off and fireworks are set off, resembling the canons a little too much for her liking. Noticing her tensed body, Finnicks grip on the girl tightens as he leans downs whispering in her ear, "it's okay, I've got you."

AN: okay, I lied, this is the last update today, I have school tomorrow I need to sleep.