40 | Simple

First I find out my baby sister is alive, then I find out she's an assassin, then I find out she runs a group that takes down human trafficking rings and then I find out she has a family of her own — to say I'm confused would be an understatement

Regardless of all that, I am happy that she's come to be someone who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to get it. She isn't the shy, meek little girl I remember, but then scenarios run rampant in my mind on how she came to be this way.

Was she tortured?

Did they rape her?

Unsavory thoughts run through my mind, distracting me since I didn't hear someone knock on my door. Peering over I see Val standing there awkwardly, looking around everywhere but me.

I only have one question for her.

"Did you know?"

Her eyes collide with mine in surprise, "I didn't know it was her, I never met Athena, I only heard rumors."

She walks over to my bed where I'm sitting up against the headboard then she's sitting beside me, "you should be proud of the girl she's become, she's saved many lives."

Grunting, I lean my head back and close my eyes, "I am proud, like you said earlier she might not want to come home with me and it's looking like that may be true. I just want to get to know my baby sister, I just want her to know I love her."

A cold hand slides into mine, I peek one eye open and see Val holding my hand before she looks at me and speaks, "well stop acting like a wounded puppy and go talk to her, get to know her, and show her you love her."

At this moment I finally understand why everyone has so much love for someone like Valentina Rossi, she radiates warmth and love even if you were once her enemy now turned brother in law — go figure.

"It's not that simple," I scoff, before closing my eyes again.

"It really is that simple Milos," she says before dragging me out of my room and to a closed door.

She knocks on it, it opens and Thalia is standing there with surprise before opening the door wider.

Val shoves me through the threshold, "don't kill each other," she sing-songs before skipping away.

"I wish I met her sooner, she's fucking crazy but I like her," Thalia chuckles, closing the door.

I take a seat at the desk and look around the room, I'm not sure what to say so I say the one thing I keep saying to her over and over again, "I'm sorry."

Thalia regards me before smiling, "Stamáta na zitás syngnómi aderfé, den boroúses na káneis típota."

(Stop apologizing brother, there was nothing you could have done)