Chapter 14: Ripples - The Changing Fates

Tempestamens 11, 1614 Central Calendar, 07:00

As usual, Walman woke up feeling refreshed in the morning after a good night's sleep. He felt the morning sun shining through the blinds and as he sat upon the bed with bleary eyes, he stretched his body for a moment. With a satisfied groan, Walman then rubbed his eyes and remained in place for a while.

He heard a shuffling sound from the side and when he turned his head to look, he found his childhood friend and roommate, Meteos, is still sleeping, facing him with crossed arms and a frown on his face, squeezed between him and a woman sleeping on the edge of the bed.

Wait.

A woman.

"Ay, yo, what the fuck!?" He exclaimed in shock.

The woman has shoulder-length brown hair and looked familiar to him. Upon closer look, he realized she is their teacher living next door, Robin, who also likes to hang out in their apartment room.

She was snuggling comfortably against Meteos' back, drawn in by the warmth emanating from his friend with one of her hands draped around him. Sometimes, Meteos' face will contort in a somewhat painful expression, but Robin's soft breath that tickled his nape and her chest rubbing against his back put Meteos' sleeping form at ease.

"Wait... it's Miss Robin... okay... that kind of explains things. But why is she sleeping here!?"

Concluding that he won't get answers by freaking out alone, he decided to wake Meteos up by delivering a precision slap at his cheek.

"Meteos, wake up!"

WHACK!

"ARGH!! THAT WRETCHED GRAD—HUH!?"

Meteos abruptly shot up from the bed, his arms flailing in panic and eyes wide in shock as he suddenly feels a stinging pain in his cheek. The first thing he saw was the sight of Walman looming over him with his hand raised. Whatever thing that Meteos had in his mind immediately left him as his eyes immediately zoned in on Walman's hand. He did not waste any time thinking and concluded that Walman is the one who did it.

"YOU! What is wrong with you!?" Meteos yelled as he rubbed his sore face.

"That's my line! What—"

"Nngggh... so noisy..."

Walman was cut off when they heard Robin grumbling on the other side. The two of them turned to stare at her, who was in the midst of waking up. She then let out a yawn and cracked her joints, letting out a satisfied groan by the time she finished.

"Man, that feels good...... Good morning, everyone!" She turned to Meteos and Walman and greeted them cheerfully.

"Morning," Meteos answered curtly as he rubbed his face, shaking off the remaining traces of sleepiness in him before yelling once more, "Okay, now get off me!"

The boys immediately scrambled out of the bed, leaving Robin sitting there, staring at them amusedly. As the grumbling Meteos stomped into the bathroom to wash his face, Walman leaned on the bathroom door and waited for his turn. His gaze occasionally wanders to Robin, who has gotten out of bed and is doing some stretching.

He really needs answers now, before his mind wandered to some weird conclusions.

Later, when the three of them are having breakfast together, Meteos explained to Walman what happened last night to calm him down. He said that he couldn't let a very tired Robin sleep on the couch, which may cause her huge discomfort in the morning, so he told her to take the bed. He also admitted that he is the one at fault for not heeding Robin's words to not overwork himself, causing the entire thing to happen in the first place.