⚘twenty three⚘

The frenzy of competition. The thrilling delight of hazarding your all. I am referring not to the lure of London's luxurious gaming halls but to a gamble with far higher stakes. Matrimony. For once that particular wager is placed, it cannot easily be undone. A fact which, I am sure, is met with both regret and sheer relief.

Today was Benedict's first day at the Royal Academy. I sit at my dressing table brushing my hair. In the mirror I can finally see Benedict standing in the doorway.

"You are home," I say with a smile.

Benedict laughs. "I am."

I jump up from my seat to greet him. Benedict pulls me close as we kiss.

"How was your first day?" I ask.

"It was incredible," Benedict tells me.

"Everything you thought it would be?" I ask.

Benedict nods. "And more."

"I am happy for you," I tell him. I move back to the seat in front of my dressing table.

Benedict removes his coat and his cravat. He removes his waist coat next. He starts to unbutton his shirt but stops.

"You are staring, my love," Benedict tells me.

I feel myself blush and I realise I was. I try to look away, but I feel Benedict come up behind me. I stand up to face him. Without a thought Benedict and I both move to kiss one another. As Benedict starts to unfasten my dress, I start to push his shirt off of his shoulders. He smiles at me as his shirt falls to the floor followed by my dress. I trail my hand down his chest.

"No teasing," Benedict tells me.

Before I can say anything, Benedict has picked me up. He attaches his lips to mine once more. He walks us across our room and lays me down on my bed.

Benedict and I sit in the drawing room of the Bridgerton residence. Lady Bridgerton has been kind enough to let me help her with Anthony's wedding planning. With Benedict studying art now I need something to occupy my time even if it will only last a short while.

Anthony is having a new coat fitted for the ceremony.

"It is not yet right. See how the cuffs are an inch too short?" Anthony says.

"Very well, sir."

"There is plenty of time to adjust it to your liking. The wedding is not for another month," Lady Bridgerton assures.

"There is still much to do," Anthony tells her.

"Will Miss Edwina be coming live with us?" Gregory asks.

"Indeed. After the wedding, she'll be the lady of the house and responsible for you all," Lady Bridgerton tells him.

"May the Lord help her," Colin remarks.

"Which reminds me, our carriages must be polished to a shine, and the horses' manes braided. We should bring out the finest silver. The queen may be hosting everything at the palace, but we must be ready to entertain here," Anthony says.

"And what of us, Brother?" Benedict asks. "Should we also be polished and braided for the big day?"

"We'll all be on display. Perhaps you might even scrub your hands for the occasion?" Anthony says.

I take Benedict's hand in mine. I do not mind his paint-stained fingers. It shows he values something in life other than money and titles.

"I've been occupied at the academy," Benedict tells Anthony.