chapter 32

Alex's POV:
It was Friday here in Monaco and we were getting ready to walk in the paddock together for the first time. I was a bit nervous, but at the same time really excited. This was what I wanted all along and it was finally happening. I had gotten dressed and was waiting for Charles who was slower than me to get ready today.

-Hey Charles what's taking so long? I shouted from the living room.

-I'm almost ready, Charles shouted back running into the room looking for something. Have you seen my paddock pass?

-Babe it's on the coffee table, I said pointing at the location.

-Ah thanks honey, he said taking the paddock pass and coming up to kiss me. You're a lifesaver.

We went to the paddock and it felt like everyone was looking at us. There was a lot of people around us. He squished my hand harder as we entered the paddock to reasure me that everything was fine. He let go of me as we scanned our passes to enter. He quickly took it again after we had passed the gates. Immediately the attention was on us. I could see the flashes from the cameras as a crowd was forming around us. It felt weird that I was actually walking with Charles in the paddock and that our relationship wasn't a secret anymore. It was a lot but I wanted to be with Charles so I had to get used to it. Finally we arrived at the motorhome and walked inside.

-Are you okay? I know it was a lot out there, he asked.

-Yeah, I know but it was fine since I was with you. I answered as I brushed his arm and stared deeply into his eyes.

As we entered his drivers room I sat down as he got ready for the first practice of the day. I checked my phone and saw that I had gotten a notification from Instagram. Someone had tagged me in a photo. Who would possibly tag me in a photo? I clicked on the notification and a photo of me and Charles popped up. It was from the walk here and as I scrolled there was also another photo of me but this time alone. It was from the day that Charles had picked out clothes for me and a photografer had spotted me in the paddock. It was @kymillman who had posted it. I took a closer look and read the caption:

CHARLES LECLERC AND HIS GIRLFRIEND ALEXANDRA

The Ferarri driver arrived this morning for the first time with his girlfriend. They recently announced their relationship on social media. I had photografed Alexandra in the paddock before not knowing who she was. Alexandra is an arts and design student from Sweden who clearly has been in the paddock before. The question is just for how long?

I looked at the photos again as Charles walked back into the room.

-Look at this! I said to him showing the post. They have already posted a photo on us.

-There are probably a lot of more. Charles said slighty giggling at me. Let me see the other photo.

I scrolled to the side to show the second photo which was the one with me in the paddock. I could see his eyes widen.

-Oh my god Alex you look so good, he said. Is that the outfit I chose for you? No wonder you look so good.

I rolled my eyes at him as I blushed. This guy sometimes.

The first practice session went okay. I watched from the garage from the first time. It was fun to see how the team worked together. This really was a team sport after all. Charles ended up being P4 which was good.

We grabbed lunch together and sat down at the rooftop balcony of the motorhome. I ate a salad and Charles ate his prepped meal. We didn't talk about Formula One, we didn't talk about all the attention nor the presssure Charles had this weekend. It was just me and the guy I had fallen for eating our lunch in a sunny Monaco. We sat there enjoying each others presence as Carlos walked up to us.

-Oh, hi there lovebirds! he said way too serious. Everyone and I mean like EVERYONE is talking about you guys.

-Are you jelous about all the attention? Charles said laughingly.

-No, I'll steal it from you tomorrow when I take pole position on your home soil. he said back.

I really loved Charles' and Carlos' relationship. They acted like brothers even though they're teammates and each others biggest competition. It felt good that Charles had a lot of great friends here. I guess they had to stick together since they all traveled so much. They are the only ones knowing what the life of a F1 driver really was. I also loved how they have known each other since they were kids. Like Charles and Pierre.

We finished our lunch while chatting with Carlos. The boys then went to warm up for FP2. I stayed on the rooftop balcony a while before I had to leave for the garage. The second session didn't go as well for Charles. He had touched quite severly with another driver and his car had gotten damaged. He had to finish the session earlier. I hoped that the pressure wasn't getting to him. He was leading the championship and this was his home race. He had a lot on his shoulders this weekend. But I knew that he could do it.

After he was finished with his media duties we walked the short distance back to his apartment. He was quite down after the incident. I grabbed his hand and leaned my head on his shoulder to make him feel better.

Later I stood in the kitchen washing some dishes as I heard something brake in the other room. I walked over to see where the sound came from. It was a vase that had fallen to the floor. Charles stood there looking completly empty. He was on the verge of breaking down. I had never seen him like this before.

-Charles what happened, what's wrong? I asked him taking him in my arms.

-Urghh, I can't do anything right! he groaned.

-It's just a vase. I'll help you clean it up, I said patting his back.

-No, it's not the vase! I can't do anything! he almost screamed while tears started to fall down his face. The practice session, last years qualifying, in 2019 and just everytime I have raced here. It all goes wrong. I'm leading the championship and...

I put my hand on his mouth to make him stop.

-Today was just a practice session and the years before are in the past. It's the race on Sunday that matters. I belive in you and so should you. We both know what you are capable of. I said before I removed my hand off his mouth.

He looked into my eyes before he hugged me hard. I could feel his tears landing on my back.

-I love you, he said with his face still resting on my right shoulder.

———