Time spent together N.R

Natasha POV
Ever since Y/N started growing and had her own way of thinking, she started to have a routine. Just a routine for one particular thing.

Everyday without fail, once the clock strikes 8pm she would appear around me and not leave my side until two hours later. I used to leave her alone as she hung around me in the beginning since she wasn't distracting anyone. But I soon learnt that I wasn't allowed to do that. Y/N would be my shadow during these two hours. Wherever I went, she would follow along silently. She doesn't even give me a break when I go to the washroom.

However, when I looked at her, she would be scrolling through her phone not caring what I was doing as long as we were in the same room. "Just give me a minute." I told her.

"Where are you going?" She whined with a slightly hurt expression on her face.

"Just give me one minute. I need to go to my room real quick." I said and quickly left the office. I sat at my bed wondering when Y/N would come and she came within the minute.

"What are you doing here?" She whined. I just chuckled and opened my arms for her.

It was Steve's idea to just relax during the two hours and give Y/N the attention she deserved after waiting the whole day patiently instead of having her sit alone in the corner of the office. We would do whatever she wanted. Be it just sitting in silence, reading a book or watching a movie.

Slowly through the years, Y/N wasn't satisfied with just presence as she had to have a limb touching me until it progressed to full on hugging me from behind. When I was requested for a small help, Y/N would hug me from behind like a koala as I went around. She was able to hang on her own so I had my hands free for work.

When it strikes 10pm, Y/N would get up and leave me alone to complete my work. I never had to remind her to leave, in fact I was hoping she would stay longer and not care about work for the rest of the day. She was the one who kept my work life balance. I had no idea how long this was going to last, if this was going to continue when she gets older.

After I'm done with my paperwork, I would find her in her room to give her goodnight kiss and tuck her in if I'm working overnight.

I would miss this once she decides she's too cool to hang around her mum any more.

When Natasha's gone
You had a body clock. When it was time, you would automatically move to find your mum around the compound until someone had to remind you that she wasn't around when you asked. A small 'oh' left your mouth as realisation hit and you went back to your room sadly.

Along the way, you had to pass by your mum's room and you hover around before deciding to head in. You let out a heavy sigh when you were greeted with an empty bed, it was usually where you would hang out most of the time.

You went to her closet to pick a hoodie and take in her scent before laying on her bed. "I miss you mum..." Since there wasn't any time pressure, you laid there hugging her hoodie until the next morning.

You felt someone holding you when you woke up. Turning around, you found your mum in her bed with you asleep. Even with all the movement in bed, she wasn't waking up. Natasha must have come back very late last night. What you didn't know was, she was taking in your scent and it relaxes her, knowing you're safe in her arms and no one was going to take you away from her.

You snuggled into the nook of her neck and went back to sleep easily.

When you're gone
When Nat is focused with her work, she's really focused but when it's past 8pm and you've haven't appeared in her office to drag her out, she felt like something was missing. Despite no one being around to bother her, she couldn't focus. It was the lack of your presence that bothered her.

In the end, she decided to wander around the compound before her feet brought her to her room where the two of you would spend the most time together. She turned on your favourite movie on the TV before hugging her knees. She never thought your absence would have such an impact on her.

It's such a simple act. Just spending two hours of quality time together but it has turned out to be lifetime worth of memory.

Written on 15 Jan 2022
Posted on 12 Jul 2022

I wanted to write a sadder os at the end when each is 'gone' as in dead but I just couldn't.