Prologue

(Grace)

Time stops still as I look at the man I love with another woman. The man I swore I would never give another chance to.

His hand cup her cheeks as she smiles sadly at him. I feel like my heart is getting ripped out. It feels worse than when I saw my ex-husband fucking Cindy.

I can't stand watching any longer. I don't deserve this. I don't deserve to get my heart broken for a third time.

I push the elevator button. Praying it would open before he sees me, but that doesn't happen. "Grace?" His words come out sounding like he's in pain.

The doors open as I rush inside. He's storming towards me. Before the doors shut, I let the tears fall, seeing his face drop.

"It's not what." I don't get to hear what he says as the elevator starts moving—my phone rings in my purse.

I answer it knowing it's him. "What, Lucas? I thought you were different. I thought we had something." My hand reaches to my stomach. I was going to tell him I was pregnant I had it all planned out.

"We do, baby. It's not what it looks like. I promise you. Come back upstairs so I can tell you." I shake my head, knowing it will be a lie. All men do is lie. I need to leave town. I need to get out of here even if it's for a little while.

"No, Lucas, I can't." I hang the phone up and call my best friend. I need her. I need to get away.

"Grace, what's the matter? Did you tell Lucas?" The sob that rips from my throat is painful and raw.

"No, he was with her! I need to leave. I need to get out of town for a while." I need to think, and I can't do that if I see Lucas.

I hear my dad talking in the background, but I can't hear what he says I can tell by his voice he's hurting for me. "Tell me where to meet you. I'm coming too. We will get through this no matter what Grace. It's you and I until the very end." She repeats the words to me that I spoke to her all them years ago.

Life has a funny way of working. I only hope I can be strong enough for the little baby I'm carrying until the time comes that I have to face Lucas again.