Chapter 35: Loren Peters

I woke up with a weight lifted off my shoulders. Everything that has haunted me, and has kept me guarded is out.

Chase I don't think knew how to express what he was feeling last night. He acted fine, but I know he wasn't.

Nobody can be fine after hearing all of that last night. I just hope he doesn't put a wall up.

Today, Chase has groomsmen things to do. So I'm going to explore Havelock.

Everyone is getting here today. I don't want to introduce myself without Chase here. So I rather be gone when all of his relatives get here.

Chase is still asleep when I sneak out of bed and get ready. I throw on a UNC shirt and some running shorts. Then throw my hair in a ponytail.

When I make my way down the stairs, Chase's mom and sisters are sitting outside drinking coffee and looking at I assume wedding things. I open the sliding door and step out. "Morning Taylor."

"Morning. Do you know of any fun things to do here? Chase has groomsmen duties and I want to go exploring."

"We don't. This is only our second time here. Jake's family couldn't travel up for the wedding so we brought it down here to him." Clarissa tells me.

"Hayden is on his way over here. I'll have him drive you around." Mrs. Jackson tells me.

"No it's fine. I'll call an Uber."

"Nonsense. I insist. Have a seat and wait." I go to object but she gives me a look. So I sit down and listen to them talk about how perfect Friday is going to be. Tomorrow is the Rehearsal Dinner.

I turn around to the sliding door opening. Chase.
I have never seen Chase when he has just woken up and wow I love this sight. His hair is a mess. He's in grey sweatpants, and doesn't have a shirt on. He is showing off his abs and basketball body.

"What are you girls doing?" He asks taking the empty seat next to me. I'm now in between him and Melanie.

"Talking about my perfect day." Clarissa gushes.

She's in love. I want to be that in love with someone.

"What are your plans for today?" He asks looking at me.

"I was going to explore Havelock."

"You need my truck? One of the other groomsmen is going to pick me. You can borrow it."

Before I can speak, Melanie speaks. "Did you just offer her your truck? Your precious Chevy. Oh my god. You're in love." I watch red creep up on Chase's cheeks. She then looks at me. "He never offers anyone his truck. Letting you use his truck is like giving you a ring. Oh my god are you going to give her a ring?"

"Melanie shut up!" Chase is embarrassed. It's cute. Clarissa and his mom just laugh.

"Sorry about her. Do you need my truck?"

"Actually you're mother insists that Hayden drives me around."

"Really?" He questions

"Apparently."

"Good morning." Hayden says appearing on the back porch.

"Speak of the devil and he shall appear." I whispers and Chase chuckles.

"Have fun and be nice. He's really a nice guy, when you get to know him. That's why he's my best friend." He tells me before standing up. "I gotta get ready. Y'all have fun today."

"Hayden have a seat. Tell us your plans for today." Mrs. Jackson says directing him to the seat right next to me.

"Mom knows you two don't get along. She's trying to force a friendship." Melanie whispers in my ear.

That sneaky woman. I wasn't even listening to what he said. "Great, Taylor wants to go to exploring too. Take her."

We don't disagree. We just smile and get up and walk towards his truck.

"You walked yourself into that trap." I tell him as soon as we reach his truck.

"Get in." He tells me.

"No!"

"She's watching. Get in." I look back and sure enough all three of them are standing at the door watching.

"Fine."

"You were nice last night what happened?"

"Excuse me. I... you're the one that approached me last night. You know what happened?" I question

"No, that's why I asked."

"I remember something. You took my friend, Loren's virginity and then became a jerk. You brought a girl here named Laurel. Laurel. Loren. The names sound familiar. Oh and they look very much similar. So explain to me something, why did you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Everything you did to Loren. Did you think you weren't good enough for her?" I question.

"I'm not. I'm not good enough for Loren."

"You wouldn't know unless you tried. But from my understanding of it, you didn't try. You took her virginity and left."

"She wanted a good time. We've had chemistry for a while. She's pretty I'm not gonna lie. She has that natural beauty, prettiness. I'm not a relationship guy. I told her that before she ever entered my room that night. She told me that she didn't come to me because she liked. I was experienced. She had this date with this guy she'd been seeing Brandon. Brandon wanted to have sex with her. She never told him she was a virgin. She would just tell him she wasn't ready yet. So she told me she came to me to lose it and that in a week when they had their date he would never know. I had never taken a girl's virginity, but I didn't expect it to feel like that. I didn't expect to fall in love with Loren Peters that night, but I did. She has a special soul and when we got done she asked if it was suppose to feel like that. She felt it too. That feeling. That feeling that I felt." He explains.

I didn't even realize we were on the side of the road. "I push people away. It's just what I do. Maybe when my dreams come true and my life is settled then I'll get the girl of my dreams. The girl I had that funny feeling for. The once in a lifetime feeling, if it's not too late."

"But don't you want her beside you when your dreams come true?"

"I can't. I put too much pressure on myself that I'll mess it up. So I push her away until I know I won't mess it up."

"You should tell her that."

"Then she'll find someone better."

"Hayden you can't string her along. Release her. If you two are meant to be, you'll find your way back to each other. She won't get that once in a lifetime feeling with someone else." He doesn't say anything as he starts driving again.

The only thing he says is, "I sent Laurel home." That makes me smile. Sorry Laurel.

I never knew the whole story with Loren and Hayden that night but now that I know it. I kinda feel bad for Hayden.

Hayden Caperall loves Loren Peters.

And

I love that.

___________
Published: 3/31/22 at 4:14pm

Not edited!