51

Zhou Nan couldn’t imagine that Coal Ball would run to Chen Ming on its own.

As everyone knew, it was very shy with strangers. When he went out to fetch a delivery package, it would hide under the bed. The neighbor had always wanted to hold it, but she never made it.

“It should jump straight to the bench. After I took it down, it would jump on my leg.” Chen Ming mutterred, sitting on the bed with two pieces of tissues stuffed into his nose.

“Maybe it’s because you have delicious food in your hand.” Zhou Nan guessed casually and tossed the newly made cat toy around. Looking at the Coal Ball jumping up and down, he felt a little worried.

After all these years he spent in the society, Chen Ming was already a man of keen observation. He saw that Zhou Nan was depressed. Then he coughed twice and said, “At this juncture, do we have to do something?”

Zhou Nan was calm before Chen Ming asked, but now he completely misunderstood Chen Ming and his face turned red subconsciously. He could not help stammering, “Wh… what to do?”

The Coal Ball with its bright green eyes stared at the two, as if it had seen through everything.

Chen Ming felt confused, seeing Zhou Nan become nervous. Then he explained, “One day is not long or short. You can still cherish the last few hours of this life and do something interesting, like watching a movie. If you want to watch one, I’ll accompany you. I have been playing with the cat for a long time. It’s a bit boring anyway.”

To be honest, Zhou Nan was still in a trance and couldn’t accept the fact that he would die today. He knew that time was running out, but he didn’t panic at all. He threw the cat toy and held the Coal Ball in his arms, saying softly, “I don’t know why. I just want to hold it and stay there.”

Stay by your side.

Zhou Nan did not say out the last sentence.

“By the way, what should I do with my dead body?” He asked, thinking that his body was lying lifeless under the bed.

Chen Ming must be a cruel person. He could behave so calmly knowing there was a corpse under the bed.

“That’s simple.” Chen Ming had figured out a way to deal with it when he brought Zhou Nan’s body back, — “just put an amulet and move the body to the river, disguising it as a drunk man who had drowned.”

Zhou Nan had disappeared for a month, but there was no newspaper or websites reporting his disappearance. Maybe his family didn’t report to the police. Maybe the contradiction between his family and him was really deep, so no wonder he only wanted to see the cat before he died.

After a few more hours, Zhou Nan didn’t leave the flower shop. He leaned against the window, helping the Coal Ball to comb its fur. The orange light from the setting sun fell on him.

“I have fallen in love with a person, but he doesn’t knew.” Zhou Nan suddenly said, turning to the window, so that Chen Ming could not see his expression, “Do you think… I should confess my love?”

‘No one knows that the person I love is right before me.’

Chen Ming thought for a moment and replied seriously, “If they two can’t become a couple in the end, confessing will bring great pain to that person.”

Zhou Nan lowered his eyes.

‘Sure enough? Do you still want to leave without confessing your love?’

“However, if you don’t confess, you’ll regret later.” Chen Ming said, “Time can soothe pain. As for regret, even if you have crossed the Naihe Bridge, drunk Meng Po Tang and then begun a new life,  you will still be regretful and it can never be changed.”

Zhou Nan turned around. He had already known what Chen Ming meant. His lips trembled and he wanted to cry.

“Although it sounds a little selfish, I still think you should confess.”

“What if… what if he doesn’t love me?” Zhou Nan looked at Chen Ming with some anxiety in his eyes, as if to see through the latter’s heart. He wished Chen Ming could say “I love you”.

Chen Ming continued to say without knowing what Zhou Nan meant at all, “Then you can go to the Netherworld with ease, with no worries anymore.”

Zhou Nan tried to speak many times, but in the end he held back his words and tears because he didn’t want to lose his only friend.

“Forget it…”

“Don’t forget it. Think about it.” Chen Ming stopped Zhou Nan, “I’ll go out to buy something.” He meant to leave Zhou Nan some private space. After all, it was an important decision for Zhou Nan to make, whether he confessed or not. At the same time, Chen Ming wanted to calm himself down.

He pretended to buy something, but he actually went to the park for a walk.

Chen Ming almost could not pretend before Zhou Nan. Zhou Nan was actually calmer than he had imagined, and he could only try to act as calmly as he could, which was not the case at all. Although he had seen many people die and leave him, he was calm in the past few years. Strangely, he felt very sad for this ghost’s death.

He buried his face in his palm and murmured, “What’s wrong with you, Chen Ming?”