CHAPTER 74. Church Bells And Tyrants

"Come on Cross, cheer up, it's just the two of us on an adventure!" I exclaimed and danced around the grumpy vampire wearing a hood to cover his face.

"Your adventures never end well," Cross pointed out. I paused, considering the truth behind his words.

"True, but they always end in a new lover nowadays, Fallon, Nicholas, Faith, and Aaron, I'm on a roll!" I hugged myself to his arm and looked up at his face. "But I don't have any more space left in my heart, soooo, let's have some fun today! I love you, I know you know I love you," I sang and squeezed his arm to my body.

"Okay, just relax," Cross looked at me and shook his head. "I don't want any drama, let's just go to some calm shop."

The rebels had informed us of a special system in the city, of how to see if they were rebels or not. A shop with a hand made sign bashing rebels and praising the military, meant they were actually with the resistance.

There were no other signs and boards like the homemade ones, and it seemed to work just fine for them.

"How about a coffee shop?" I asked as we walked down a sidewalk. Cross fiddled with his hood, seeking more annoyed.

"This is dumb, what if someone sees my face," he said and glared at the ground.

I said nothing to this, holding in a sigh. Cross was the one who insisted he go, and now he was going to give the logic as to why he shouldn't be here?

"Do you think a coffee shop would have fancy hot chocolate?" I questioned and winced when he looked at me sideways. "Never mind, what do you want to talk about?"

Cross rolled his eyes. "Nothing, so why don't you quiet down for a few minutes." My face fell and I nodded. Damn, guess I was trying too hard, now he's mad at me too. Unless... he was already mad at me.

I kicked a rock with my shoe, frowning. I paused, moving away from Cross slightly, stepping through people to look through a store window. It had one of those signs, and I could smell chocolate wafting from the shop!

A rough hand grabbed my shoulder and yanked me back, making my left eye close in a wince. I looked over my shoulder, expecting Cross, but instead it was some angry guy in a suit.

"You made me spill my shit all over myself you dumb bitch," he spat and I looked at the cup in his hands, then his damp black suit.

"Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to, I just wanted to look at the store -" I stopped as he bent down and got into my face, sneering at me.

"Do you know who you're talking to?!" He yelled and people quickly began making an escape, looking fearful.

"N-no," I said and couldn't help but feel slightly betrayed by Cross's disappearance from the scene. I had really wanted to spend time with him today, to make sure everything was okay between us.

"I'm the priest! The high priest, and I was on my way to the church!" He yelled, spit flying. I backed up a little, wishing I could just slap him and get over with it.

"I- I'm sorry," I said through gritted teeth. "Please get out of my face, all due respect, but your breath stinks." I raised my hands and met his eyes as he turned red with rage.

"Is there a problem over here?" A voice asked and I looked over. Green uniform, gun, and a stern face. A soldier? Yes, great, I wanted to see what this world was like, but not like this.

"She's being disrespectful, arrest her," the priest said and wiped A hand down his suit, stepping away from me.

I looked around wildly, ignoring the pity in people's eyes, looking for Cross. Where did that asshole go? I'm about to be arrested!