The Unthinkable Moment

𝐄𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝟏- 𝐏𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐭 𝐏𝐭 5

Mercedes sat on the swing. The basketball court filled with the usual's. Most young people were still out, you could hear some of the laughter across the street where the other homes sat.

Street lights coming on, lighting up the half empty park.

Tight-fit, blue, bootcut jeans, a pair of flats and white tank top. Silver hoops in her ears as the few charm bracelets hung on her wrist. A silver heart chain around her neck.

The song of, Unthinkable, by Alicia Keys—playing in the one ear bud.

Smiling briefly at some of the interactions, she watched people pass.

A few of the guys on the court waved to her like normal.

Giving a wave to them. She laughed at the one who did made a shot and pointed to her.

Shaking her head, she writes back in her journal.

Baby hairs laid, her natural hair pressed out down to the center of her back.

Humming to herself as she writes, Mercedes takes a look up around her surroundings again.

To her father he just saw the streets but to her....so much laid here. At one point it was home for them. Before money, big houses, and cars, this was their roots and the people that knew them. It was something about disconnecting from it, she just couldn't do.

The amount of times that these so called streets helped her remember, and gave back to her the energy she wouldn't get from the corporate world. This is where she could be Mariah Lyon.

Seeing the old janitor walk out from the school behind her.

Mercedes waves a hand. "Night, Mr. Charles!"

"Night!" He waves. "Now don't be staying out here to late!"

A playful eye roll. "Yes, sir. I know."

Watching him get in his car—he pulls off down the street.

Mercedes finishes the title,

I can do bad all by myself....

All she wanted is for things to calm down but since her mother returned, everything turned itself upside down. In a good and bad way. Her father had been acting strange, Hakeem on edge, she felt like she had to watch Andre every move. The only person she could truly talk to is Jamal but she counted how long that would last.

Empire became a blessing and a curse. It could take the most beautiful thing and turn it evil.

Something she always wanted to avoid. If it's one thing she would never do, is loose herself and who she really is. Not for the music, not for the fame, not for anyone.

Humming a song to herself, she lays her head against the swings chains. She looks up to the skies. Using the tip of her foot, pushing herself on the swing; slightly.

Walking up, Legend stops when he spots the girl he'd been searching for. Marquis told him she stopped down to visit but took some time by herself.

Hearing humming, he stopped to listen to her.

One the guys from the court called out to her, making them both look.

"It's late Mercedes! Take your ass in the house girl!"

Stopping—she frowns and sits up. "Yo watch your mouth! Who father is you?"

A smile breaks on Legend's face, he puts his head down with a slight head shake.