Chapter 34

Chapter 34

It was so dark. My heart thudded against my rib cage as I tried to see but nothing came in vision. I couldn’t even tell if I was awake or not, I was just here. I had no idea where I was anyways. I started to walk as I heard the echo of my footsteps bounce of the walls, and back into my ears. Even though I was scared, I felt safe. As soon as the thought crossed my mind, the room was immediately lit up. My eyes were blinded by the white bright light, as I closed them immediately.

“Valerie.” I heard a soft, gently voice call me. I opened my eyes as she stood there, a huge grim on her face. My heart stopped beating as I took in her beauty. Her auburn hair was up in a bun, her blue eyes staring at me with happiness. She was wearing a long pink dress that hugged her perfectly. My throat got tight as the tears slid down my cheeks. What was she doing here?

“Bramble” I choked out, walking closer to her. Happiness was all over her face, and she seemed so relaxed. Way more relaxed she looked in the real world, way happier.

“Don’t cry.” She whispered walking closer to me, her heels click against the now white floor. The room was black before, but because of her light, everything turned white.

“You’re here.” I chocked out before running towards her, closing the space between us, and wrapping her in a hug.

“I’m here.” She said pulling apart from the hug, but her arms were still on my shoulders.

“I’m so sorry, I should’ve forgave you, I’m so stupid, it was too late, Bramble you were gone-”I started.

“Valerie, I’m so much happier here, you don’t understand. What I did do to you was unforgivable, and you’re right, it’s too late.”She whispered against my hair. I let out sobs as she comforted me.

Bramble was the school bully, she hurt me in so many ways, it was unbelievable. She made up all these rumors about my dad, made everyone turn against me. She said how my dad left me because I was a disappointment, how he left us for a better family. The entire school snickered at me when I would walk down the hallways because of her. Then, all of a sudden, she turned a new leaf. She wanted to be my friend, and begged my forgiveness, but I never gave it to her. I hated her for making my life a living hell. Every day she would come to my house trying to talk to me, trying to say her apologies, but I never forgave her because I was stubborn. And then one day, she was gone. Just like that. Bramble had taken her own life. I never knew what her life was like, and when she needed a friend, I pushed her away. Sure she bullied me, but I was so damn stubborn. If I were to just be the shoulder for her to cry on, she would still be in this world, she would not have committed suicide. Turns out the whole time, her parents would abuse her, and they were drunks. Her dad’s friend would come and rape her, but none of this was known until after she took her life. For the first year after she died, I had nightmares. Nightmares of all the times I could’ve forgave her, I could’ve been her friend. I could’ve helped her. Until this day I feel like if I wasn’t so stubborn, she would still be here. I blamed myself for her death. But here she was, in front of me, as clear as day.

“You need to know that it’s not your fault, Valerie. I took my own life, and I would’ve done it either way because I didn’t belong in that world. It wasn’t a mistake, and even though I was only 15, I had enough of that world. I’m so much happier.” She started, her eyes shining. She was right, I could feel the happiness radiating her, and bouncing onto me. My heart swelled as a small smile found its way to my face.

“But I’m not here because of me.”

My eyebrows knit in confusion “What?”