Chapter 99

Diana got ready in an hour, just like she had promised her mother, and put on the best gown she could find in her wardrobe. To her relief, her mother approved of her dress.

     Diana noticed that even both her parents were wearing their best and finest robes; probably the most expensive ones they owned. They usually only wore these robes for special occasions, for example when the Minister had thrown an elegant Ball a few years ago.

     Diana had no idea where her parents were taking her, and she was afraid to ask. Her mother had apparently told her all about it a few nights ago, but Diana had failed to listen to a word she was saying, dozing off. So, not wanting to be scolded for never paying attention and receiving a long lecture on how disappointing she was, she decided not to ask again.

     Diana stood in their yard alongside her parents, her cloak around her. She held her mother's hand, and watched as Mrs. Greengrass grabbed onto her husband's hand as well, all three of them Disapparating away. The only times she had seen her parents holding hands was when they wanted to use Apparition.

     The world suddenly went dark and Diana felt as though she was pressed very hard from all directions, finding it hard to breathe for a few moments. She hated Side-Apparition.

The moment Diana felt her feet hitting the ground again, she opened her eyes and looked up, finding herself in front of an enormous manor house. The manor was five times bigger than their own house, with walls made of stone and tall windows all around it.

     The Malfoy Manor? Diana mused to herself as she began to walk down the long lane that stretched out to the house, with her parents at her side.

      But she then shook her head at the thought. No. Can't be. We'd been to their manor for their Christmas Ball years ago. Their house didn't look like this.

     Then who's house was this? she kept wondering.

     The Greengrass family went around the fountain in front of the manor and walked up to the large entrance doors of the house, which magically opened at their arrival.

      As she walked inside the house with her parents, Diana looked around her in awe, watching the grand hall. The walls inside were dark and the floor was made of black marble, with old paintings stuck on the wall and chandeliers hanging off the high ceiling.

Diana suddenly heard the sound of footsteps echoing through the hall. When she turned around to look over at the grand staircase, she saw a man and a woman walking elegantly down the stairs and toward them, both of them tall and pallid.

Once they got closer, Diana realized that they looked extremely familiar to her and that she had seen them many times before. Specially the woman; Diana was sure she had seen her at King's Cross station a few times.

"Welcome, welcome!" the tall woman said with a bright smile, hugging Mrs. Greengrass as soon as she reached her, and the two men shook hands firmly, sharing only a small, polite nod. "How are you, Astoria?"

"Quite well. It's so good to see you, Félice," said Mrs. Greengrass. "It's been so long."

     "So it has." Félice smiled, before turning to face the two men. "And surely you two are already acquainted?"

     "Of course." Her husband nodded warmly, speaking in a thick French accent. "We 'ave met many times at the Ministry before."

     "And this must be," Félice turned her head and looked over at Diana with a smile, "Miss Diana Greengrass."

     "It's a pleasure to meet you." Diana gave a small and polite bow, just as her mother had taught her years ago.

     It's never a pleasure to meet new people, she thought to herself bitterly.