Chapter Thirty Five

You guys know the drill. Vote, comment, follow. Ily

WESTON LOCKE

I didn't expect my stomach to tie so painfully in knots as my eyes rest on Micah's from across the restaurant. He was dressed in a white shirt and tie, covered with a black apron that was tied around his back. Along with a name tag and a small tablet in hand.

My mind couldn't process this information fast enough.

Micah would rather work in a place that I knew he despised, than work for me at Neptune.

How had things come to this?

He had his dream job at Neptune, his recent promotion and managerial role. His intelligence is like no other, I've met plenty of smart people in my life but Micah is different. So different and now he's here, serving people who can barely say thank you for his service.

"A server will be over shortly," the woman standing by the door who showed us to our seats makes herself scarce.

My clients, George and Will immediately look down to the menu in front of them. I float my eyes over the restaurant before they settle on the back of Micah's head. He was facing Abel, talking away but we were too far to even hear anything he could be saying.

Micah shakes his head aggressively as Abel uses his left arm to circulate over this side of the restaurant. His head drops in defeat and he puffs out his chest to dissolve a tough sigh.

"What do you recommend Weston?" George asks as he looks down the wine list.

"Any of the red I'm good with," I comment. "You guys choose, it's my treat."

"Thanks Weston. Appreciate it." Will gives me a smile.

I glance up from Will to where Micah was standing a few seconds ago, not expecting him to be walking straight towards our table. My lungs stop breathing for a second, then I force myself to inhale before I choked up my words.

My hands shake subtly, how was I feeling like this around him?

Micah looks directly at George and then to Will, avoiding my eyes completely. "Good evening gentlemen. Welcome to Café Cosmo's, what can I get you to drink?" His voice came across chirpy but I could still hear his struggle inside.

George hums as Micah waits with his table. "Could we get a bottle of the Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon, please?" He asks as he glances up at Micah.

I rest my eyes on his through his glasses as he taps down the order. "Anything else for you guys?" He forces a smile.

Again, he looks between George and Will but I couldn't be more desperate for him to look at me even once. Just once, I needed to look him directly in the eye to make myself feel somewhat better.

"Weston?" Will asks as he brings me back into the room.

"Ermmm... no thank you. That's all."

Micah's lips pull up into a tight smile as he nods once, his eyes falling to the floor as he walks away.

George and Will instantly begin to pitch their idea to me. I had invited them out as Neptune needed a new partner who could sponsor us and we'd sponsor them. Including our events and software giveaways with local and international clients.

Soon Micah comes back over with our bottle of wine, George explains their new project in such detail that I almost lose interest. Probably because Micah was stood right in front of me pouring wine into my glass with one hand behind his back.