Chapter 11: The Grim Reaper's Apprentice

As the first years slowly trudge into the classroom for their morning lesson, an unusual sight awaited them. On a normal day, the students would wait many minutes before Gojo Sensei showed up to begin their lesson, but today he was already there. That was more than enough to have each walk even slower to their seats and in their extra time, something else caught their attention.

At the desk Haku would occupy, if they were even conscious that day to attend the lesson, something else filled the spot instead. Hovering just a few centimeters above the table, a shikigami paper doll bobbed up and down slowly. It was very early in the morning to say the least, and upon laying sights on the spirit, each student frantically rubbed their eyes just be certain they weren't hallucinating.

In short— they weren't, and the more skeptical they became. Even though it was an abnormal sight, no one said a single word about the passive spirit minding it's business. Once the students had taken their seats, Gojo straightened his posture at the front of the room.

"From today until I say so, Kohakuchan will not be attending lessons, training, or missions with all of you anymore," Gojo stated as a matter-of-factly.

Like he expected, this announcement caused an uproar.

"What?! What do you mean by that Sensei?" Yuta blurted out, very puzzled by the sudden decision.

Gojo shrugged, "I mean what I said. Kohaku won't be attending in person anymore. Instead, they will be training alone with me. You all can rest easy now that the potential threat of Kohaku possible severely wounding or even killing any of you is now gone."

"But we want to help Kohakuchan too!" Panda whined.

"Sha-ke," Inumaki agreed.

Even Maki nodded her head slowly, "I also think that's a poor decision Sensei."

Despite their pleas, Gojo remained firm in his decision. Something about the lack of his usual carefree attitude told the students that there wouldn't be room for negotiation on this.

"Remember how I told all of you that once Kohaku begins to try and gain control of their positive energy that it wouldn't be stronger than a Grade 4 Curse initally?" He asked.

The students nodded.

"I won't say I was wrong— nothing I couldn't handle, but even though their technique was sloppy and rushed, I would say their power was closer to that of a Semi-Grade 1 curse," Gojo Sensei brushed off, managing to compliment himself in the process.

A hushed silence overtook the room as they each processed the new information. It began to make a bit more sense as to why Gojo was restricting Haku from training with the others, however the implementations still seemed a bit too strict.

"Okay so Kohaku is more powerful than we thought, big deal? We'll handle it. Why does that mean they can't attend classroom lessons or missions with us?" Maki asked straightforwardly with all seriousness as she couldn't find a logical reason for that.

Gojo Sensei only smiled nonchalantly, "I didn't say they wouldn't attend lessons," he said very smugly, "In fact, Kohakuchan is here right now and you all walked past them without so much as a 'Good Morning' greeting. How rude of all of you," he scolded lightly.

Now, they were all even more confused as their heads whipped to the far right to Haku's usual desk but the student was still not sitting there. All they saw was the shikigami paper doll floating on the desk, just as it had been earlier.

"Kohakuchan! Come up here," Gojo Sensei called out and on command, the paper doll floated up to the front by his side.

All eyes followed the paper doll intently as Gojo held his hands up to present it, "This is Kohakuchan! Please look out for them."