| xlv: better late than never |

"The only thing sweeter than union is reunion

"The only thing sweeter than union is reunion." — Kathleen McGowan

" — Kathleen McGowan

Mumbai, India

Akanksha walked inside the Cold Cases Office, taking a nice look at the place. The place looked far different from what she had originally imagined. It wasn't a dingy, shabby, extremely humid office. Instead, it was clean, well maintained and fully air-conditioned.

She walked towards the Incharge's office, her shoes clicking on the floor. Knocking on the door, she entered the office. "Mr. Bhaskar?"

"Akanksha Chauhan?"

"Yes,"

"Please have a seat," he gestured towards one of the empty chairs and Akanksha followed his lead. "I had gotten a call from the Jaipur CBI Branch yesterday of your arrival regarding a case. How can we help you?"

"I need a case file," she said, "of Ruhi Parekh."

Mr. Bhaskar scrunched his eyebrows in confusion. "But the file was already taken a few years ago. It's not a cold case anymore."

"I have seen that case report. It includes the timeline and progress of the case," she said, "and I am not asking about that file. I am asking about the original case file— the one that was made when she was killed, the one that had the fresh and raw information on the case," Akanksha needed that file. She wondered if their names were included in that file for the case report had no mention of their names. Also, the weird thing was that the case file had no mention of the name of the officer in charge of the case at that time as if he had deliberately kept his name out of the file.

The case report had just mentioned 'the officer in charge' and nothing else.

The Incharge nodded in understanding and dialled one of his men to get the file. "Anything else I can help you with?"

Akanksha thought for a while. "Do you have the forensic evidence collected from the victim's body and from where she was killed?"

"Ah yes," he answered, "we have preserved the semen traces that were found in the body of the victim in our deep end of the refrigerator and also some blood traces found in the nails of the victim."