𝟏𝟏. ✭ 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐈 ✭

The plane rides had been long and strenuous on my psyche. My mind whispering in a never-ending loop of torment what kind of life would be awaiting me back in my parents' home country. Because I know that whatever it is it won't be pleasant. And once we left America the actuality of Brooks finding me, even with the help of Torey's parents, became a fleeting notion. There would be no getting to me once we arrived; especially without Torey's help. Torey at least knew the specifics and general layouts but even he didn't know everything. If he were alive maybe he could help. Maybe. But Torey isn't. Torey is dead.

The moisture that seems to be a near-constant in my eyes these days returns but I refuse to let it fall. My ice-colored eyes remain a glassy tear-filled prison of pent-up emotion, frozen with the finality of Torey's gruesome death. Ever since the showers I have tried to keep my feelings in check, my behavior.

Tristan's words had been a reminder every time I felt a wave of rebelliousness roll through me. "If you ever want to see your kid again..." So I sat nicely in my seat, completely quiet and obedient. I listened to every word my father said like the 'docile house cat' I was suggested to be. Now here, alone in the car with Tristan, I've kept my mouth shut; not asking any of the questions that tempted the tip of my tongue.

I'm lost in all my thoughts in the back of the Mercedes when I sense someone's eyes on me. I flick mine up to the rearview where I find Tristan's hazel gaze. It shifts off to the road immediately, not giving me anything of much consequence other than the fact I'd sensed him staring.

Tristan weaves in and out of traffic effortlessly, like he knows these roads as well as I do. Hell, maybe he does. I know nothing about the large man driving me around. The one who'd been allowed to watch me shower. The third man that's ever seen me naked in my life. I let my gaze linger on his profile in the rearview. I don't recognize him in the least bit but, then again, I'd only ever had eyes for Torey.

Looking away from the man and out my window I notice the scenery. It becomes all too familiar, anxiety inducing, really, which means we're getting close to the compound. We're now traveling up the winding mountain side that my family's home is built into. Home. You couldn't really call it that. No. It's more like a fortress considering it's impenetrable. My father is probably reveling in the fact that he's got me here because, knowing him, he'll probably never let me leave again. There will be no moving across the country to get away from him now. Here he'll be able to control me— something he's always been so adamant about doing.

I suppose I would be okay with his ruthless scrutiny as long as I could be with my son, could take care of him like I should've been from the start. I know my father will have different plans because, to him, I'd abandoned my son. I'd given him up. That is not something a mother does. That is something unforgivable in my father's eyes. I'm not naive enough anymore to think that he won't use that situation and him to hurt me. I'm well aware of the mental torment that will be bestowed upon me in this God forsaken place for however long I'm here.

It's not long before we get to a gated entrance where the procession of cars begins to parade into. I eye all the fancy vehicles that belong to my father and the handfuls of men splayed throughout the space. Surrounded. I am surrounded. I let out a hearty sigh and then a sort of frightened giggle of a noise.

"Is there something comical that I'm unaware of?" His tone deep and unamused.

"No." It's just ironic how I thought I had done everything in my power to keep my son and myself away from this place and yet here we are. We're trapped. Back in the arms of everything I'd tried to escape from.

"You look like you want to say otherwise." He adds as he parks the vehicle.

My eyes flick to his in the rearview again with, "you know, Tristan, I'm surprised you're even talking to me." None of the other men ever addressed me or spoke to me aside from Remy and Ram. Even Torey hadn't dared communicate with me initially. No, not until the first time we were alone together had he struck up a conversation. We'd done much more than talk that night. "Most of the men barely even look at me let alone talk to me." Or see me naked for that matter.