29

Jonathan

I sit in my living room staring at my coffee table. It had been a year to the date since Jenna's death. It hurt more than usual. There's a knock on my door and I stand up to answer it. I open it to reveal Mrs Leanna.

"Mrs Leanna?" I ask confused. It was unusual for her to visit. I notice in her hands she's holding a drawing book and a small envelope.

"Hey Jonathan. I know this is unexpected, but Jenna wanted you to have this when I thought you were ready. Well I think your ready now."
She hands me the envelope and the drawing pad before leaving.
I shut the door and open the plain white envelope. Unfolding the paper inside I recognize Jenna's hand writing. I swallow before I start to read it.

Dear Jonathan

     I'm not the best at introductions so I won't try to do one here.
I know that I'm going to be dead by the time that you read this but there's a few things I wanted to tell you.
Firstly I liked you from the moment we met. I guess God was just telling me you were the one. I'm glad it was you though. I know we barely knew each other but I loved you dearly.
Secondly don't worry about me, when I die I'm going to heaven. I get to be with my savior Jesus Christ.
If anything good came out of this cancer it was that I get to be with him sooner.
And last but not least,
Don't be afraid to find love again. I can't imagine the pain but please try for me to find someone to help you raise Cassidy.
I've decided to give you my drawing pad. I think that you will enjoy the pictures. I got this one right before I went to the hospital so it is filled with my last days.

                       Sincerely Jenna                   
                                              Thompson

Setting the letter aside I open the drawing pad. On the first page is a sketch of me. It's from our first date, I'm sitting in the booth at McDonald's and staring out of the window. The next is a sketch of the bridge in the park. I set the book on the coffee table. Tears were streaming down my face and the last thing I wanted was to mess up her drawings. This was just like Jenna. Even dead she was looking after me.