Chapter 7: Battle of our lives

Pastry Cookie sat on her bed, gently cleaning her fork. It shone brightly at the points, reminding her of how sharp it was. She considered herself lucky to have been trusted with such a sacred weapon. She paused her actions as she heared a knock at her door. She slid off of her bed and walked down the stairs to the front door, the floor boards creaking as she walked. She opened the door, instantly facing a cheery Milk Cookie. He held a basket in his hand, presenting it to Pastry. Although confused by his sudden presence, she gratefully accepted the basket and moved over from the door to let him in.

"I'm so sorry, I've been so busy these last few days! It's crazy, you know? The monsters have been moving closer and closer to the kingdom, so we were forced into battle." Milk rambled, flailing his arms around to emphasize. The two were sitting on Pastry's couch. The basket sat on Pastry's lap, the delightful smell of baked goods filling her senses.

Pastry nodded. Of course she knew, it was the entire reason she'd been sent to the kingdom in the first place. She opened the basket, finding that it was filled to the brim with delicious treats. She took one out and examined it as she spoke. "I heard it was getting bad, but I didn't know that they were moving at such a fast rate. It hasn't even been a week..." She pondered. If the cookies of darkness were in the kingdom, and Dark Enchantress cookie was defeated, then where are these beasts getting their orders from? She was shaken out of her thoughts when Milk Cookie put a hand on her shoulder. "Are you alright?" He spoke with concern. Pastry lightly smiled. "Yes, I'm fine, just still waking up. You know mornings are difficult for me." Milk Cookie narrowed his eyes at her. He clearly didn't believe her, but he didn't question her any further. "Anyway...the reason why I came to visit is to tell you that you've been requested at the battle field. They want you there in a few hours." Milk Cookie got up from the couch, stretching. "Where are you going?" Pastry questioned. "The kingdom needs me. My break was only long enough to deliver the news and food to you." He answered. "Though my breaks are short, It is my duty to protect this kingdom, and I would never complain." He posed with his shield smiled brightly. "Hopefully I'll see you on the battlefield. Maybe we'll even be on the same team!" He opened the door, waving goodbye as he made his way to the kingdom gates.

Pastry sighed, finally taking a bite out of the treat. For the order, right? Right. Time to get ready.

....after I finish a few of these deserts, of course.

-

Pastry arrived at the front gates. She surveyed the area, noticing multiple wounded cookies being tended to by healers. One in particular, a cookie dressed as a knight, had a nasty gash on his arm, jam seeping out. Next to him sat a cookie dressed in the most royal clothing, topped with a crown. "Knight Cookie, I told you it was too dangerous for you! You didn't have to do that for me, I could've-" She started. "Your highness, I was just doing my duty. I couldn't let that foul beast lay a single finger on my princess. This wound is nothing." He winced as a healer wrapped his arm in gauze. Princess Cookie murmured something to him, Pastry didn't pick up on what it was as she was too far away. The two exchanged a few more words before the pink cookie carefully hugged Knight Cookie and walked towards the castle.

Pastry saw another group of cookies to her right. They were in far better condition than the others, led by a cookie in shining grey armor. "FOR THE TEA KNIGHTS!" he cried, before charging into the battlefield, quickly followed by the agreeing cries of the other cookies. As they disappeared from view, she noticed another cookie approaching her. She immediately recognized him as Madeleine.

His usually shiny armor was filthy with dirt and other evidence of battle. His usually spotless face was dirtied with jam, most likely that of cake monsters, and yet, he looked completely in his element. He didn't bother to fix his messy hair as he made his way over.

"Looks like sleepy head finally rolled out of bed! Just in time too, might I add?" He laughed, despite the clearly serious situation. Pastry cookie gave him a blank stare. Madeleine nervously stopped laughing once he noticed he'd gotten no reaction. "Alright, fine, I'll cut to the chase. The situation is looking very grim for us right now. All of our best healers and fighters are deployed on the field. They're getting closer and closer to the kingdom as we speak, and we can't afford to let the cookies in the kingdom get hurt." Madeleine looked towards the battle field as two cookies were carried back to the kingdom for healing. "Pure Vanilla is currently in the kingdom right now tending to the severely wounded. We requested that he not go out to the battlefield because he could also be injured...I'm getting off topic. Follow me to your team." Pastry nodded as she followed him. She was met with 4 other cookies: Caramel Arrow, Black Raisin, Eclair, and Mala Sauce.

"I am Pastry Cookie. It is a pleasure to meet you all." Pastry introduced herself as Madeline slipped off to another team. Black Raisin raised her head to look at her before asking a very important question: "Do you like raisin buns?" She stared at her intensely, the bird on her shoulder matching her with an equally piercing glare.

"...What?"

"I asked if you like raisin buns. This is a serious matter."

"Sure."

"Yes or no?"

"...Yes."

"Good answer. That's all we have to eat, so consider yourself lucky." Black Raisin smiled lightly, her bird giving an affirmative nod. Intense scribbling sounds came from the cookie next to them, his eyes sparkled brightly as he laughed. "Finally, I've done it! I've tracked down the location!" He cheered — an odd emotion to be feeling before battle. "What did ya find, green fellow?" Mala looked over his shoulder to look at the map in his hands. "G-green fellow? I'll have you know that I am a famous historian, not just some..." He scoffed, "Green fellow!" "An ugly nickname indeed..." he murmured to himself.

"Sorry, if it makes you feel better, you can give me an ugly nickname too. Make it extra bad though or it doesn't count!" Mala laughed.

"Okay, spicy barbarian." He began walking away, hiding the fat grin on his face. "SPICY BARBA— HEY! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?" Mala stomped after him. Meanwhile, Pastry and Black Raisin shared raisin buns while discussing potential threats along the way. "This right here is the most dangerous area on the path. I propose that we hide in the bushes and then strike." Black Raisin balled up her fist to emphasize. "TRY TO HANDLE THE SPICE!" Pastry shook her head. "Although this is a good plan, It could easily backfire. What if they're already in the bushes waiting to ambush us?" "OH GREAT HEAVENS." Black Raisin nodded. "I'll send a crow ahead of us to scout the area. We can decide after that." The two continued on with the plans as Mala chased an on-fire Eclair around the pair.

"Then it's settled. Let's get moving."

A/N: No way, the writer comes back after 3 months?? Impossible. Motivation finally arrived. All jokes aside, I really wasn't feeling like writing. I wanted to enjoy my summer, and just couldn't find the will to open the app and write. I know this chapter was short, but it's probably better than never writing again at all.

Also, I was thinking about starting up a new book completely unrelated to Cookie Run or any game in general, instead, it's about my own characters. Let me know if you guys are interested in the details!