• 𝐂hapter 56

When Hope left me, time stilled

When Hope left me, time stilled. I didn't move. I stood there, staring at the front door with my heart beating at what seemed like a million miles an hour.

She was going to come back to me. There was no way she could leave me. She said she wouldn't. She said she loved me, didn't she?

Adamant, I stood there, my mind searching fruitlessly for reasons why she wouldn't possibly leave me. I convinced my heart that It didn't need to hurt yet because she was going to show up. But as time continued to pass almost audibly, I realized two things; I was wrong and Hope was gone.

She was gone.

And I let her go. I fucking let her go.

There was a relentless beating of my blood around my body. My lungs burned and I wanted to scream. I let her go because she asked me to. Because she said if I cared about her, I would.

I did. She was precious to me. I cared about her. No, I more than cared, it was more than just caring. My heart slammed against my ribs and I sucked in a breath. I loved her.

I was in love with Hope Sterling. I loved her. Pressure pushed down my chest. I loved her and I'd hurt her and I was unable to see anything except the obscene red marks that marred her fragile skin.

I ran back into my room. Adrenaline spiked and my heart crashed against my ribs as I dug my phone out and tried her number but it went straight to voice mail.

Shit.

I needed to get to her but not like this.

I put in a call to Brad.

I hadn't gotten any sleep that night. The next morning, I hopped into the shower.

My bath was quick. Or slow. I couldn't tell, I was too busy thinking of ways to win Hope back.

I couldn't lose her this way, I was going to make her forgive me. I was going to throw myself at the mercy if I had to. I was going to tell her everything I felt.

With this thought in mind, I tossed on some clothes after showering and grabbed my keys before walking out of the house. That was when Brad's car pulled up in front of me.

He hurried out. "I got your call, what the fuck happened between you two? Why'd she leave?"

"Can we not talk about it." I edged towards his car but he clasped my shoulder to stop me from walking further.

"Killian..." He got in front of me and gave me a weighted look. "What did you do?"

I fucked up.

I sighed and closed my eyes for a moment. "I hurt her badly and I can't explain the details but just know I hurt her."

"Okay," he exhaled. "Is it anything serious enough to get you sued? I'm your attorney, I need to know these things."

I tried to swallow but my throat was dry. Fuck. Could she really sue me for this?