Chapter Twenty-Four.

I look at him but he is not looking at me. His eyes are on my phone's screen, and he's frowning.

"He just likes to joke sometimes," I tell him hurriedly even though he hasn't asked. He looks back at me and raises his eyebrows.

"Who likes to joke sometimes?" He demands. 

"Er... Ethan?" 

"Are you hiding something from me, Marilyn?" He asks softly. I shake my head almost immediately, even though I am. I am hiding things from him. 

"So why has your face gone all white? I didn't ask you about any text, then why did you feel the need to give me an explanation?" 

"You were looking at my phone so I thought..." I leave my sentence hanging in the air between us and he takes a step back.

"I don't want to doubt you, Marilyn. I told you I'll give this all a chance." He looks at me and his eyes seem like they will pierce through my soul. "Don't make me regret my decision." He says and with that, he leaves the kitchen.

I get down from the island and look at the prepared breakfast. He's probably mad at me or maybe he's doubting me.

How can I be so stupid? 

I take a deep breath and follow after him.

"Where are you going?" I ask him as soon, as soon as I step out of the kitchen I spot him by the main door, getting ready to go out.

He looks at me and takes a deep breath.

"I'm going out with Will, it's an emergency." He tells me. I take a step toward him.

"You're lying." I know he is, he didn't even receive a call so how can he say that to me? 

I see him rolling his eyes. 

"What is it, Aiden?" I ask him, knowing fully well what went wrong. But why is he reacting this way? It's not like I could cheat on him or something with the number of threats he gave me that night. And why would I? I told him that I love him. Is it not enough for him to trust me?

"What's wrong?" I take another step toward him.

"I told you I have something to do. I'll see you later." With that, he turns and leaves without even saying goodbye.

I walk to the living room and sit down on the couch. He's behaving this way now, what will happen at the dinner then? He'll sense that something's off between me and Ethan and I don't want to tell Aiden about that thing just right now.

What has my life come to? Just when I thought everything will go smoothly Ethan had to show up and destroy all the good chances for me.

What if Aiden leaves me when he gets to know the truth?

I don't even want to think about it.

*

The dinner's going as awkward as it could be, Ethan's girlfriend Jade, she's a nice person but I can't focus on anything or anyone except for Aiden, who didn't talk to me at all for the rest of the day.

Thanks to Will, the awkwardness is not that noticeable. We have our dinner and I avoid looking at Ethan the whole time because I'm afraid that Aiden might start thinking absurd things. 

After dinner, Leaving everyone behind in the living room I make my way towards my bedroom, to take a minute for myself and calm my crazy nerves down. I sit down on my bed and cradle my head in my hands. This isn't good. How am I going to keep up with this for six whole months? I can't keep on seeing his face, I just can't. 

I take a deep breath and look around the room, will anybody notice that I'm gone for too long? They definitely will. I can't just stay here for the rest of the night. I stand up and smooth down my skirt. I am going to be strong, I'm not going to let anybody take me down. 

I-

"Oh, so you're hiding here. I was wondering where you went off to." I hear his voice before our eyes meet. My eyes travel to the door and I remember that I didn't shut it because I never thought anybody would follow me here.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. I won't let him know that I'm scared right now because I know, I know what he's capable of. 

"I was missing you, so I came to find you." He replied a sickening smile playing on his lips.

I scoff.

"Your girlfriend is downstairs." I remind him. He rolls his eyes.

"Stop. You know you're the only woman I want." He says. This isn't new for me, He's told me this so many times after that dreadful night, over phone calls, texts, and now in person.

"You want me because you couldn't have me. You want to destroy me by making me yours, I've known you long enough to know what's going on in your mind. And you can never have me, I'm married to the person I love." I take a step towards him, suddenly gaining courage.

He looks down at me, his eyes holding a dangerous look in them that I can't recognize.

"Maybe, you're right. I want to ruin you, Marilyn. I will make you mine and I'll destroy you. Mark my words." His voice is barely a whisper, and it's sending chills down my spine.

"Get lost before Aiden finds you here and kills you," I tell him, taking a step back. He laughs at this.

"He would never do that, he may have the upper hand but this project is nothing without me. and I know he prioritizes work over everything in his life." He smirks and looks at me "Even you."

"Get out of my room, Ethan," I tell him again, Reality hurts but I know Aiden's been trying. One day we'll be like the other couples, normal and happy.

"I'll see you downstairs then." With that smirk still on his face, he turns and leaves the room.

I sit back down on my bed, I would be lying if I said that his threats didn't scare me. But I have Aiden now, I know he won't let anything happen to me even though he doesn't love me, I'm his wife and I know he'll protect me.

I close my eyes and try to calm myself down.

"What was he doing in our room with you?" My heartbeat nearly stops as his voice reaches my ears. I open my eyes and find him looking at me, leaning against the wall casually as if he's asking me if I had my dinner or not.

I stand up again but this time, my hands are shaking. I'm scared now even though I did nothing wrong.

"He was looking for the bathroom and came here." I lie. He takes a step towards me, his hands in his pockets. 

"So it took you five minutes to tell him that he's in the wrong room?" He asks, tilting his head slightly. 

"I- I was in the closet looking for something more comfortable to wear as this skirt was...," I leave my sentence hanging as I take in the expression on his face.

I expect him to accuse me of lying to him, or worse, cheating but he doesn't say anything.

Instead, he just nods.

"Come downstairs, they're getting ready to leave." I nod and hurriedly leave the room before him because I'm scared as fuck. I can tell by the expressions on his face that he didn't buy my lie. He's officially doubting me now.

Maybe I should come clean to him.

Maybe it's time now.