Mission

Arthur POV:

"How many troops do you need?" King Blaine asked as we all looked down at the detailed map spread across the round table.

"Three—no—two divisions should suffice," I answered.

"General Arthur. The western coast is where we need to be allocating most of our forces," Rahdeas countered, placing his finger near Etistin and Telmore City. "Sending nearly twenty-thousand troops up north will make this area too vulnerable."

"I have to agree with Elder Rahdeas," King Alduin added. "There are several battles near the coast that have been going on for days. Withdrawing even a single division would tip the balance in their favor."

Queen Priscilla, rolled the transmission scroll she'd been reading. "We are still evacuating civilians from both Telmore and Etistin. If forces on the coast are withdrawn, our troops will be pushed back and the battles will take place in the cities."

"Commander, we can perhaps send some elven troops stationed near Asyphin City down toward the edge of the border, but two divisions seem feasible," Queen Merial advised, brows knitted in concern.

Virion, seated in front of me, lifted his gaze to all the lances standing upright behind their respective artifact holders. "Generals? What do you think?"

"General Arthur's vague suspicion based on loose evidence of what 'he saw' doesn't justify sacrificing a city or two," General Bairon spat out.

"Bairon's nasty tone aside, he makes a good point," said Mica, the female dwarven lance that looked no older than my sister. "Moving that many troops a few hundred miles will take time, even with the help of teleportation gates."

"General Aya? General Varay? General Olfred?" Virion asked. "Do you all agree?"

General Olfred, the oldest of the lances, nodded. "It is too much of a risk."

"Sorry, General," the elven lance whispered beside me before speaking up. "I also agree that it isn't wise."

We all looked to Varay, the only other lance that I wouldn't be confident in defeating.

"If General Arthur's claim is true, it'd be the right choice to send that many troops—if not more—up north," the lance answered curtly.

It was surprising to have General Varay's support, but it worked against me in this case. However, Jude took advantage of her words to bring along the idea that I really wanted to go with.

"General Varay is right in that, if what General Arthur claims is true, troops need to be sent. After all, there has only been one true sighting of a retainer since the war started—if retainer and a scythe were leading this next attack, the damages would be catastrophic without appropriate measures," Jude said calmly. 

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Therefore," Virion paused, shifting his eyes from one lance to another, "I propose we send a lance along with Commander Jude to investigate whether or not there really is going to be a major attack led by a retainer and a scythe up north."

The rest of the council immediately glanced at one another, waiting for someone to come up with a reason against it.

After a brief pause of silence, they slowly nodded in agreement.

Virion clasped his hands together with a smile. "Good, now which lance will accompany him on this investigation up north?"

A thin hand rose from across the table. "While Lord Aldir is the artifact holder for my two lances, since he is not here I think it's safe to assume that I can volunteer to send one of them with Jude."