C H A P T E R 4 2

Jessica Miller woke with a gasp.

CAPITOL: JESSICA POV

What happened? Where am I? Think! What's the last thing you can remember.

The dome was collapsing, I turn to check that Johanna is still behind me. She is. We had been running for what felt like ages. My legs were burning. We're in desperate need of hydration, food and rest. But instead, we just had to keep running.

I heard Johanna yell out in pain, I turned on my heel to see her gone. Before I could look around, something hard and heavy hit the back of my head, something warm dripped down my neck, my grip on my blades went loose, my vision went dark.

Am I in District 13? Where's Finnick? Is he okay? What about Johanna? She had screamed then disappeared, what happened? What about Katniss and Peeta, they had been the mission after all.

DISTRICT 13:

Katniss who had just woken in her hospital room and gown, walked down the halls and found Finnick's room. He was sat on his bed tying a rope, a distant expression on his face.

"Finnick." She spoke, her tone came out harsher than intended.

He opened his mouth trying to talk, a few seconds later he spoke, "I wanted to go back for them. Believe me. But I.. I couldn't move." His voice cracked on the last sentence as tears formed in his eyes, "they have the love of my life, my everything, locked up in the Capitol," he tugs at the rope harder, tears fell from his eyes, "I wish she was dead. I wish they were all dead and we were too." His voice was full of pain and guilt.

CAPITOL:

Jessica woke up, when did she fall asleep again? She'll never know. She seems to be falling in and out of consciousness and has been for the past hour, maybe. She assumed it was due to medication and being sleep deprived.

Her hand reached to her neck and chest, feeling the absence of her good luck necklace which her brother had given her. She looked around the room, only to find the ombré pebble crushed to pieces on the bedside table, a white rose petal between it and her glass of water.

Nurses have come and gone, doing whatever it is they did. They always came without a word and left the same way. From the petal and the lack of visitors, warmth, information and conversation, she was pained to assume that she wasn't in 13 but instead the Capitol. She shivered at the thought.

She woke again, once again having no knowledge of when she had fallen asleep. This time, she was in a different room. In comparison to the white, four walled hospital room with a bed and regular nurses, this room was still white but consisted of 4 cells. She was in one of them, the others she didn't know.

"Hello?" She called out, her voice cracked from dehydration.

"Hey sweetheart," Johanna's voice made Jessica sigh from relief.

"I've never been happier to hear your voice, darling," Jessica replies. "Who else is here?"

"Annie, she's asleep though, Peeta, also asleep. I assume the others made it," Jessica caught onto the fact that she didn't say '13'. The thought that Finnick was alive and safe brought her more comfort than any pain relief could.

"What urm.. what happens now?" She asks, scared to hear the answer.

"From personal experience, I'd say torture til we die." Johanna says, voice void of any emotion.

"Lovely," Jessica sighs.

AN: despite being in the Capitol, and the inevitable torture, we will see lots of Jessica/Johanna humour and their relationship so that's a positive, lol.