s i x t y o n e

After making the drive into the city, Abraham pulled to a stop outside of the hospital. We all jumped out, our guns raised. We worked our way through a parking lot that was scattered with abandoned tents. A few walkers roamed about slowly, but Glenn wasted no time taking them out.

We passed through a chain link fence, and I saw a few shadows appear through the doorway. We came to a stop, and I let out a small gasp as Rick stepped into the light. Sasha followed quickly behind him, and next came Noah who was helping Carol who appeared to have a slight limp.

I peered around them, trying to spot Daryl. However, my heart soon dropped to my feet as Maggie let out a sob. She dropped to the floor, screaming, as Glenn tried to console her. Tyreese made his way out of the hospital, carrying a limp Beth in his arms. She had blood covering the back of her head, and was clearly dead.

A few tears rolled down my face. I wasn't close to Beth, but Maggie was like a sister to me, and I could feel her grief through her sobs. My eyes pulled away from Tyreese to the last person to make their way out of the hospital.

I made my way over to Daryl, and he wrapped me in a warm embrace. "We almost got her back." He whispered in my ear before letting out a small sob.

"Hey, it's not your fault." I said, squeezing him harder. "We can't save everyone." I pulled back to look in his eyes. He gave me a small nod.

"Are ya ok?" He asked.

"I'm alright." I wiped the dried tears from my face. "Gabriel caused some issues at the church, but nothing Michonne, Carl and I couldn't handle." He gave me a quick kiss on the head as he wrapped his arm around me, pulling me back into him.

"That's ma girl."

—————

Daryl's POV:

Aspen slept soundly against my shoulder as the truck bounced along the highway. We had been driving for a few hours now, unsure of where we were headed.

I gently moved the small blonde's hair from her face as she readjusted herself, sighing contently in her sleep. I had seen my share of death since the apocalypse started, but having Beth get shot just as we were about to save her really stuck with me. The emotions I felt after I thought Aspen had died were threatening to resurface, but I worked to push them back down. It wouldn't help anyone to have me lose it now. She needed me to protect her, and I could only do that if I was clearheaded.

Suddenly, Rick jerked the car to a stop, causing everyone to shift forward. Aspen groaned slightly and sat up with sleep filled eyes. "Mornin." I smirked.

"Good morning." She yawned, pushing herself up to a seated position. "Where are we?"

"No idea." I answered, looking out of the front of the car only to see more deserted highway.

"What is it?" Michonne asked from the passenger's side.

"There's something in the road." Rick said, jumping out of the car. I looked around, surveying the green trees surrounding the stretch of highway we had been traveling on. No matter which way you looked, there was no sign of life other than us.

Rick made his way back into the truck with a case of water bottles. Not only were they completely untouched, but they looked brand new.

"I don't trust it." Sasha said, appearing beside Rick. Evidently Abraham had stopped the second van behind us.

"Me either." Michonne agreed.

Rick sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Let's leave it for now, but we should stop anyways, we're running on fumes." I opened my door and helped Aspen out of the truck.

Maggie was sitting on the ground with Carol and Carl, Eugene and Glenn were messing with the engine on the other truck. The rest were slowly making their way towards Rick.

"We're fucked." I heard Aspen whisper from beside me.

"It's gonna get a hell of a lot hotter that's for sure." I mutter back, peering up at the Georgia sun that was already starting to beat down on us. I felt a small hand intertwine with mine, and I met the green eyes that were peering up at me.

"Look for water with me?" She asked.

"Only if yur gentle on ya ankle." She nodded in response.

"Rick, Daryl and I are gonna go look for some water." Aspen called out.

"Ok, don't take too long." He responded. I helped Aspen towards the forest, searching for any signs of water or food.

"You doing alright?" She asked, once we had made it into the tree line.

I sighed, letting go of her hand to wipe my forehead. "Yeah, I got ya here beside me. What do I have to complain about?" A small smile formed on her face.

"I'm worried about Maggie. She was so excited when she heard Beth was safe, only to have that all come shattering down around her." Aspen paused for a moment, looking down at her feet.

"Maggie's tough. She'll be alright. We all will." I pulled her into a hug, trying to use my touch to reassure her in ways my words failed me.

"Ew there's a worm on my shoe!" She exclaimed, letting out a small giggle. I released her, and looked down to find a brown worm squirming on her tennis shoe. Before she could kick it off, I reached down and picked it up, holding it in front of my face.

"Daryl Dixon. Do. Not. Eat. That." She gasped, as I brought it closer to my mouth.

Aspen's POV:

I felt my insides turn as Daryl plopped the worm on his tongue, chewing a few times before swallowing. "Disgusting." I gagged, screwing up my face. "You're going to have to wash your mouth out ten times over before I even think about kissing you again."

"Oh is that so?" He smirked, walking towards me. I squealed, trying to run away, but he quickly pulled me into his arms.

I tried turning my face away, but he grabbed my cheeks gently, and pressed his lips to mine. I shoved my lips shut, refusing to kiss him back. He finally gave up, pulling away with a huge grin on his face.

"Worm breath." I teased, pushing him in the chest.

"Ya love it." He grinned, turning away from me, and starting back into the forest. I shook my head, grinning, as I followed in Daryl's footsteps. However, he suddenly stopped and I ran into the back of him. He flung his crossbow around, and pointed it in front of him.

"Hey. Hi." A man said as he walked slowly towards us, with his arms raised. He had short curly hair, and was wearing a blue raincoat and plaid shirt. Compared to us, he looked like he had walked out of a magazine for life before the apocalypse.

"What do ya want?" Daryl growled, moving so he was blocking me from the man.

"I didn't mean to interrupt." He started again. "My name is Aaron. I know, stranger danger. But I'm a friend. I'd like to talk to the person in charge. Rick, right?"

"Why?" I answered.

"I have good news." He smiled. "I have a place where you can be safe. A community."

Daryl looked down at me out of the corner of his eye. I shrugged. What was the harm in letting him see Rick? He didn't appear to have anyone with him.

"Start walking. No sudden movements." Daryl spat, pressing his crossbow into Aaron's back as we led him towards the road.