Chapter Ten

You returned to the states in Zemo's private jet. He stayed there; Bucky and Sam got a cab to take you home.
You sat in between them in the backseat, and the cab started driving.
"Y/n sweetie" Sam said.
"Hm?"
"Can you unblock us from your phone? Please."
"Um. Okay. Sorry."
You pulled out your phone and unblocked Sam's number, then Bucky, then everyone else. A bunch of old notifications started pinging through.
"Thank you" Sam smiled.
"Wow you guys were really worried about me" you were reading through all the old messages.
"Yeah, you seemed really upset, and we wanted to make sure you were okay. And I haven't apologised yet, so y/n, I'm really sorry. I should've listened more and been there for you. I really wish I could've understood just a little better."
You nodded, still looking down at your phone screen.
"I'm so sorry that I can't do more right now. But if you ever need anything, just call, okay?"
"Mhm."
Bucky noticed you were still staring at your screen, but you weren't doing anything on your phone. You were avoiding eye contact, and avoiding saying too much. You were upset.
"Y/n what's wrong?" he asked.
"Nothing" you lied.
"Please tell me."
"It's nothing... it's... this just doesn't change anything."
"What doesn't change anything?" Sam asked.
"You saying all this stuff. It doesn't change the fact that I'm going to live with someone else, and you're just going to leave me there. I know you said there's nothing you can do, and I've accepted that. But that doesn't mean I'm not upset about it."
"It's only 18 more months y/n..." Bucky reminded you.
"But then what Bucky? I move out, probably end up living alone... I mean, what do you think is going to happen?"
"I... don't know..." he admitted.
"It's not like you need me to stick around for anything."
Sam and Bucky exchanged glances full of regret and guilt. They didn't say anything.
"I'm just your friend's kid" you continued. "Now that friend is gone, I am merely someone whom you had a mutual contact with. Nothing more."
"Oh sweetie you are so much more" Sam said.
"We love you y/n" Bucky assured. "You are not just Steve's daughter. You are... my everything. I would do anything for you. Understood?"
"Understood" you smiled up at him. "I love you Bucket."
"Love you too princess."
"Love you Sam."
"Love you sweetie."
You felt your heart warm inside your chest. Like you had said before, it didn't change anything, but it felt so nice in that moment. You were on the verge of tears (of happiness, you convinced yourself).
"I-" you looked down at your phone. "Oh I gotta call Peter."
The phone started ringing.
You suddenly felt yourself become really nervous.
John had made you be home-schooled, meaning you never saw him.
What if Peter hated you for blocking him and ignoring him for the past six months? What if he never wanted to speak to you again?
Maybe you shouldn't have done this over the phone...
You hadn't noticed that he had picked up.
"Hello? Y/n/n, is that you? Y/n? Are you there?"
Tears started streaming down your face. Definitely tears of happiness, and relief at the sound of Peter's voice. You had been friends since before he was even bitten by the spider, then you became best friends when you found out about him, as you were thrilled that there was an avenger your age.
"Y/n, are you there? Are you okay?" he persisted.
"Hi Peter" you smiled through tears.
"Oh my god y/n! I'm so glad to hear your voice! How are you? I've missed you! I have so much to tell you and I want to hear all about everything that you've been doing! I saw you on the news! And- oh I've just missed you so much!"
"I missed you too" you laughed lightly.
"So..." Peter said. "Do you want to talk about it?"
"I- um, yes... do you- do you want to come over tomorrow so we can talk in person?"
"I'd love to!"
"Great, I'll send you the address."
"Ah! I can't wait!"
"Me too, bye Peter."
"Bye y/n/n" Peter said and hung up.
You were absolutely beaming, which made Bucky and Sam happy to see.
You drifted off, smiling in your sleep.
You got to the police station, where John had requested Bucky drop you off. You woke up as the cab slowed to a halt.
"Hey sweetie, we're here" Sam informed you.
He opened the door, got out, and held out his hand to help you out.
Bucky paid the driver, then joined you on the sidewalk.
Each of them took your hand and walked you inside, then Bucky called Walker to tell him that you were there.
They stayed with you until he arrived.
"Oh my god y/n I'm so glad you're okay!" John exclaimed as he burst through the doors. "Thank you so much Sam and Bucky, for bringing her home. I really appreciate it, although I'm not totally unconvinced you didn't take her in the first place..."
"No they didn't" you defended. "I went on my own."
"Why would you do that?" John asked kindly. His loving expression was bullshit.
"I went to see my cousin." Technically, that wasn't a lie.
"Okay, why didn't you just tell me?"
"I didn't know if you'd let me go." He definitely wouldn't have let you go.
"Okay well I'm just glad you're back now. Why don't you go wait in the car?"
"Fine. Bye guys" you nodded at Sam and Bucky.
"Bye sweetie" Sam kissed your forehead.
Bucky gave you a hug, and didn't let go as he spoke quietly in your ear. "Call me. I promise I will come straight away if you ever need me... I love you and I'll see you soon."
"See you soon Bucket" you whispered.
You stood in his arms for a second more, before you saw over his shoulder that Walker's facade was breaking apart. The anger was creeping onto his face.
You let go of Bucky, and smiled at the guys one last time before heading outside.
You got in the front seat of John's car and waited patiently.
You saw Bucky and Sam leave the police station and gave them a small wave.
John came out a few moments later, and he got in the car next to you. But he didn't start driving.
"I'm sorry-" you tried apologising.
John turned quickly in anger, driving his fist towards your face. He hit you repeatedly, then climbed over in the car so he was leaning on top of you. His knee pushed into your stomach, and his hands wrapped around your throat.
You started choking.
"You little shit!" he muttered through clenched teeth. "Why can't you fucking behave like you're supposed to?"
His grip tightened around your neck and he jabbed his knee into your stomach again.
You were coughing up blood. Until you stopped coughing. You were barely making any noise at all.
John pulled you forward by the neck, then threw your head back at the window.
He sat back in his chair and casually put his seatbelt on. You were leaning back, trying to breathe normally again.
"Put your seatbelt on."
You didn't have to be asked twice.