《1》Conceal

cover art by h0pe.lez

.

.

.

.

.

(THIS CHAPTER WILL TAKE PLACE BEFORE JJK ANIME)

...Years later...

"Thank you. Please come again,"

A person bows formally, thanking the cashier before making their way to the front. The smile from the cashier holds up until the customer leaves, then...a loud sigh escapes her lips.

'I wanna go home...' The cashier muses, relaxing her tense shoulders. Her hazel eyes peer around the now quiet shop. The various displays of pastries and bread are all alien on wooden shelves, as the faint light shines before them...urging the delicious food to shine even more.

'Wow...I could get used to this~' The woman smiles with a blush. Today was her very first full-time shift since she usually worked the night shift. But today was an exception because the girl who worked the day shift had called in sick. And, to add on, another part-timer quit the day shift and so she will be accompanying the day shift employee from now and onwards. At first, she refused, but when the manager offered to raise her wage...how could she have refused such generosity?

'It's not like I need the money that badly...but it doesn't hurt to earn some more~' Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard the bell ding from the front. Signaling that a customer just walked in. She greeted them with a bow, saying the usual phrases.

"Welcome to Bakery Bakery--"

But that is the exact moment where she feels a familiar sensation...an energy.

'Curse energy...'

Her hazel eyes narrow, peering cautiously at the person that just entered.

She watched poker face, at a man with a suit. He looked like a salaryman with the way he was dressed. His blonde hair was messy, and he wore a tired expression. Dark creases from under his eyes, possibly from overwork or lack of sleep. He appeared to be slightly older, appealing mature.

'He's not hiding his curse energy....perhaps he doesn't know how to?' She muses, staring at him quietly without being obvious.

He picked out a tray and tongs in the near entrance and began to scan the aisle. His tongs pick a sandwich, placing it gently on the tray with much delicacy. With that, he makes his way toward the cashier.

The hazel eye girl flinched, not expecting him to come over so soon. Was he really just going to buy that one item?

"Would...that be all?" She says, keeping her eyes steady at the product below, scanning it.

"Yes," He responds, reaching for his back pocket to grab his wallet. He pulls out a card, placing it on a plastic tray.

"That would be 1000 yen," She mumbles, taking the plastic tray with her, and scanning the given card onto the machine. A beep sounded, accepting the transaction.

She places the card back on the tray and pushes it slightly towards the customer. Then she takes some tongs to place the casse croute sandwich into one of the bags of the shop.

"Thank you for shopping with us. Please come by again," She bows her head slightly his way, best to not make any eye contact. The man seemed to have hesitated to grab the bag.