17: calm before the storm

-» • «-

i can't be your queen so I choose to be the knight, protecting you, letting my action speaks louder than my words.

-» • «-

━━━━

I was in a trance, staring into the space, slumped down against a tree trunk behind the school building.

The duel is about to begin but I couldn't find it in me to move, still in daze, reminiscing the things that happened.

My eyes flickered up when a shadow towered my figure.

"What are you doing here? The battle is about to begin." Ryujin quirk a brow, gazing down at me with so much confusion. Her facial features were clouded with wonders.

"Just give me a second." I responds, almost inaudible in human ears but then Ryujin is not a human so she surely heard it loud and clear. Her eyes soften when she sees my trouble eyes. lifeless and dull, clouded with confusion and something she couldn't comprehend. "What's wrong?" she ask, her voice lace with comfort and warm, showing her concern.

I let out a sigh, eyes flickering down on the green grass. "Ryujin, do you sees me as a human?" the words slips out from my mouth before I could even stop them.

I couldn't see her reaction because I keep my gaze lock down but I'm certain she was taken aback from my question.

"Well.. Honestly, i never thought you'll come out as a human because obviously, you won't be able to be here if you're just a human." Ryujin empasized, a little sarcastic.

Yeah she's right.

"But whatever species you belong you're still Y/n. My walking disaster friend." I glares daggers at her statement, but couldn't resist the smile that crept upon my lips. Raising a fist to bump it with her's, breaking in into a boisterous laugh, "nyeh nyeh nyeh, whatever."

"Now let's go watch." she offers a hand which I gladly accepted, helping me up to stand on my feet, and headed to the fighting arena.

━━

Stepping inside, the crowds hollered loudly, chanting two different username. Lust. Pride.

"It's not even starting yet. Deadly queens popularity are really something else." Ryujin let out in amazement, watching everyone screams their lungs out. In that kind of reaction from the crowd I must really say, she isn't wrong, "Yeah.. You're right. But do you think we should find a seat?" I quirk an eyebrow at her.

"Yeah you're right."

Finding an unoccupied seat, a voice calls out for us, "Ryujin, Y/n here!"