Chapter Thirty Nine

[A/N] This image was sent in by someone (they weren't interested in a shout out). It's of an angry Lowell, 'bout to go wolf mode on his dad. Damn. It looks good.

"Grab him." He ordered his men, stepping forward as Lowell began to get out of the bed, pressing strangely back into me in a panic, his hand brushing my trouser pocket.

"If you fight this." He cocked his head. "Not that you'd win, but if you try; I'll tell dad, and you know, he's so much more practical about these things. Maybe he'd even be able to find a better solution..." He raised his hands freely. "Who knows."

That stopped Lowell dead in his tracks while I grabbed from the bed, my hands and forehead clammy, my breathing fast.

Was he saying his father would kill me?

If I wasn't burning up I probably would have felt cold.

I swallowed, inhaling slowly.

"Lowell." I addressed him, watching his head snap back to me. "It's fine. Don't worry about it. Once you mate with her..." I spoke in a quiet, clear voice, the look in my eyes clearly conveying that by 'mate with her' I really meant 'buy more time'. "We'll be able to leave."

He looked distracted, chest heaving, only paying enough attention to hear what I said after a moment. His eyes narrowed, I saw his shoulders broaden as he hunched slightly. "What the fuck did you just say to me?"

I felt the slice of shock that comes with someone talking to you like that, while both of us were still visibly, seemingly unconsolably, aroused.

"Lowell..."

He stood up slowly, his eyes narrowed further if it was possible.

My heart jogged in my chest.

"You're asking me to-"

"It's not such a big deal." I smiled at him, sweating. "We'll probably be able to keep meeting up if you explain things properly... Then we'll be able to go home."

Lowell gave me an expression that felt like he was conveying the sentence 'I know you're fucking with me, but you're actually pissing me off'. I didn't mean it but that didn't stop his expression from turning dark as though he thought I did. 

Although I knew he wasn't it wouldn't be the last time I saw him look angry at me it was still a little nerve-wracking facing the buff guy, looking about ready to shift into the terrifying, beautiful black wolf, a certain darkness sweeping over his face.

"Well," Bazile smiled, seeming vaguely surprised I spoke up. "He won't. But the points the still stands."

He strode up to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder which caused my skin to crawl more heavily than I'd experienced it before, it grated on my skin. I had to shiver to ease some of the cold discomfort the contact created, and the feeling I got taking a step away nearly made me sick.  And while we walked Bazile's eyes kept examining from the side, like he couldn't believe something.

[Lowell's POV]

None of this made sense. That declaration kept swirling about in my head as my skin prickled with awareness, that delicious scent still on my bedsheets, the image of Max, more ready for me than ever, spread out, burning up underneath me.