Thirteen

ARABELLA

So I realized I take a deep breath before pressing the dial.

I hold my breath as it rings once... Twice... Three times...

"Arabella?"

I put the phone up to my ear and I feel the tears start to flow at the sound of her voice.

"mama... Hi."

I can hear things being moved in the background but I don't question it. She is never happy with anything so she moves it.

"Why are you calling me? Did something happen?" She knows I never call unless it's an emergency but right now, I just need a voice that will calm me down.

"Um... How do I say this... Adam was doing bad things to my mom. He hurt me. Then I found out he cheated and he kicked me out."

Silence.

More silence.

"Adam?" Shoot. I knew this was a bad idea. My mom loves Adam, she has known him for years. Of course, she wouldn't believe me.

"Yes, he did hurt me, mom, badly." I always share everything with her, no matter how distant we are.

"Arabella stop this nonsense. Adam is a sweet man so stop trying to sabotage the poor boy. I'm disappointed in you so much. I expected more than this from you. I'm going to call him right now." My eyes widen at her words, especially her last one.

"No! Mom please don't!" I say, but before I could tell her, the phone hung up.

"Mom! Mama are you there?!" I sniffle and look down at my phone.

She doesn't believe me.

No one ever believes me.

I cry and sob as I curl myself into a ball on the bed. Why does nobody believe me?! He hurt me and of course, everyone takes his side.

I grab the pillow to cover my face as I scream into it. I'm so tired.

My head snaps over to my phone as it rings. I lift my shaky hand to grab it and answer the call.

"You fucking bitch! Trying to expose me to your little mommy! Ha, she didn't even believe you. You are a worthless piece of shit at the bottom of my shoe, Ara. Nobody will believe you." I hang up the phone before he can continue.

His words strike me in the heart and suddenly I can't breathe. I can't breathe.

Maybe I am worthless, maybe Adam was right all along. Nobody will ever believe me so why tell? I shouldn't have freaked out, I should have stayed with him. I don't know Rico, what makes me think that if I told him what happened to me, he would understand. He wouldn't.

I need to leave.

I try to breathe but it feels like my lungs are against that. My heart pounds against my chest and it feels like I'm dying.

Rico doesn't care, LEAVE.

I try to stand up but I collapse right back against the bed. I feel the sweat drip down my forehead and I realize I'm having a panic attack.

Okay, think, think, think.

Think what? That you are worthless, that you will never be loved? You should have gone back to Adam and let him finish the job.

These intrusive thoughts get the best of me and I feel like I'm on the verge of passing out.

I feel the tears flow as I back up onto the headboard of the bed and curl myself back into a tight area, covering my ears with my hands.

Go away. Go away.

Nobody will love you. Everything about you is disgusting. Nobody believes disgusting people.

I hear a click and a door open but my eyes are tightly shut as I try to control my breathing.

Breathe.

Stop breathing.

"Oh shit, Bella!" I hear a voice, I know that voice.

I feel big hands grip my shoulders and I flinch back. Is he here? Is Adam here?

"Go away, go away." I just want him to go away.

"Bella, it's me, Rico. Breathe!" He shakes me and I get memories of what Adam used to do to me.

I feel my body get pulled towards a chest as the bed dips in weight. I'm pressed against a hard chest as I feel gentle touches against me.

Gentle.

"Shhh... it's okay mi amore, let's breathe with me, yes?" My eyes finally open and meet with dark grey ones as his meets blue ones.

I feel his breath hitch for a moment before he gently runs his fingers through my hair, so so gently. He doesn't pull at it like Adam does.

I can't help but lean into his warmth as my breathing slowly goes to normal, his fingers still gently combing through my hair.

It's silent but the good kind, the comfortable kind.

It's just now that I realize that he is wearing a t-shirt that says "Best Grandson" on it. That's cute.

"I'm sorry," I whisper, embarrassed.

He won't believe you.

"Don't apologize for something you can't control." He says and I take them to my heart.

I press myself into his warmth again, just trying to enjoy his soft touches.

"We're you with your grandma?" I look up at him through my lashes and he nods.

"That's sweet. I miss my grandma. She was always so nice and she never took no for an answer." I stare at the wall, thinking of her.

I check the time, 8:56 pm

"Thank you, for helping me. I don't want to be too much of a burden so I will leave tomorrow." And go back to Adam.

Rico's finger grips my chin gently and lifts it so I'm looking up at him. "To go where?" he raises an eyebrow and I look away.

"Probably to my moms..."

He nods and I lean my head back against him.

I wish we could stay like this forever.

My eyes droop and my body relaxes. I feel his breathing even out and eventually, mine does too.

In the arms of safety.
——————————————————————————