Chapter 15

"Yes, I did. Daniel, what do you think about a nineteen-year-old girl driving one of the fastest cars on the grid?", he asked.

"Well, I dont see why people make such a big deal out of it. I mean shes a better driver than some of the guys with a seat in one of the teams, I think its good to have fresh hands in the sport and as we saw in Azerbaijan, she has the talent to win races." He answered.

"So, you dont think she won because Max had a DNF, and Lewis didnt break correctly?"

"No." the Australian answered simply.

"Alexandra, what do you think about Fernando Alonso stating that Formula 1 is a sport for men, a woman shouldnt be driving one of the cars and that you only won because of the unfortunate events happening to Lewis and Max?" the man now turned to me.

"I didnt know he said that." I replied.

"He did say that on Thursday in the press conference". The interviewer reassured.

"As we all know we all have the right to say what we think, and I am in no way mad at him for stating his opinion. Everyone can say what they want as long as it doesnt hurt anyone and as it doesnt affect me, I dont care. Even though I do hope to prove him wrong but thats just personal preference." I answered sweetly.

"Thank you, guys." The man walked of.

"Wow. I didnt know he said that". The McLaren driver said looking down at me.

"I didnt either, but you know-..." I trailed off.

"I dont. What did you want to say?" he requested an answer.

"Nothing, Ill just swallow this pill like every other one before. Now smile again and dont you dare tell Mick about this because the guy will be pissed. Keep it together, hes coming over." I forced the Australian.

"Yes Maam." He sighed and leaned on the railing next to me.

"Hey guys what were you talking about?" Mick asked smiling goofily.

"About what tattoo Daniel will get when I win our bet today. "I lied and smiled back at him.

"Oh, no, no, no. You Will be the one getting the tattoo, woman. Not me." Daniel stated.

"Another tattoo?2 Mick pulled his eyebrows up.

Yeah, I have one planned regardless of me winning or losing this bet. Ill get it when Im back in Austria. I explained.

"What did you bet?" the German asked curiously.

"If theres over a 60 second gap between us, Ill get a tattoo and if theres under 60 seconds she will." Daniel said and turned around to us.

"Youre crazy." Mick shook his head.

"I know." I smiled.

We all got off the platform and back to our garages where I changed into my suit and did my hair whilst talking to Simon and some of the strategists.

The cameras were busy pointing their lenses everywhere, so I tried my best to not embarrass myself.

The time went by way to fast and Max and I went to go kneel for the Black Lives Matter movement before standing in line to listen to the national anthem. Walking back to the car I had my headphones on trying to get my nerves to calm down. The number of people looking at me and wanting to take a picture or ask me a question was not helping at all, so I was more than happy to see the team work on the car.

They did what they do best and that was somehow calming for me.

After the last pep talk from Christian and the engineers I put my helmet on and climbed into the car. Waiting for the people to leave the track I started counting the Mercedes mechanics next to me and in front of me and counted the buttons on the steering wheel in front of me.

When I looked up again, I saw the last people walk away and the track got a lot quieter. Then the green lights went on and we started the formation lap. Looking at the track for the last time, going through all the breaking zones and turns that were good for overtaking the lap was over before I even realized it was halfway done.

The car came to a halt, and I looked into the mirrors waiting for everyone to take their places behind me. When I saw a man with a green flag run across the track my eyes went up towards the lights again just as the first one shone brightly.

Two Lights. I readjusted my feet on the pedals.

Three Lights. I took a deep breath.

Four Lights. My Hands gripped the steering wheel tightly.

Five Lights. It seemed that the time stopped. I let out a long breath.

Lights Out. I stepped onto the throttle.

Max and Lewis had a good start and stayed in front of me, but Valtteri and I went into turn 1. As I went around the corner someone hit my rear and I spun which caused my front wing to touch the wheel of a Ferrari and took me off track.

After multiple cars passed me, I got the car back onto the track but immediately noticed the front wing was missing.

"Someone hit me. I lost the front wing I need to box." I radioed the team.

"Copy. Box this lap." I heard Simon answer.

"Box confirm. Is everyone else, okay? Did I hit somebody else?" I asked as the car was limping back to the pits.

"No one took damage. You hit Sainz whilst spinning but his car is fine." I got reassured.

"Thanks"

After getting the new front wing I was on P20. Starting my way up the grid to do some damage control. I quickly overtook Mazepins Haas and when I got to Micks car, I held my hand out and waved while passing him. I even got a wave back.

The next overtakes were a Williams, an Alpha Romeo and Yuki in his Alpha Tauri.

Overtaking as quickly as possible I saw the back of a McLaren by lap 33. As I overtook using DRS I looked over and saw Ricciardos helmet, so I gave him a wave and pulled away just to be stuck behind Lando for a lap.

After pitting I made my way up the grid again until I saw the back of a Mercedes.

"Where are we right now?" I asked Simon.

"You are P4. P4. Keep going youre great." He said calmly.

"Will do. What are the gaps?"

"The gap to Norris is 24 seconds and to Bottas 3 seconds and decreasing." The man informed me.

"Wheres Max? I want some chicken for dinner." I joked.

"Max is on P1. Well see about that dinner when we get to the finish line."

"Thanks Simon."