scavANTger hunt

"Why is the whole school empty?" Chyna questioned. "And where's Mrs. Mills?"

"There's only one explanation." Fletcher's eyes widened. "We're the last survivors of a zombie attack!"

"There's no such thing as zombies." Lexi rolled her eyes.

Principal Skidmore walked in. We screamed and ran to the other side of the room.

"Look how its rotting flesh barely hangs onto its decomposed body!" Fletcher said dramatically.

I rolled my eyes. "Fletcher, I'm taking you with me next time I have a drama class."

"Like the rest of your class, Mrs. Mills got food poisoning from the cafeteria. Apparently, buying a truck full of tuna fish for twelve dollars was not as good a deal as I thought," she explained.

"I knew to stay away from that lunch special," Chyna admitted. "Fish are not supposed to have feet."

"Anyway, instead of class, we will be having a scavenger hunt and the winning team gets a week off school," Skidmore decided.

We cheered, excited. "Okay. Lexi and Chyna, you two have never had much of a rivalry. So to keep things friendly, why don't you be team captains? Chyna, you pick first."

"I want to be fair about this, so... My mother told me to pick the very best one and you are it." She landed on Paisley. "If I were stopping right now. But I am going to keep going until I land on Olive. Doyle."

"Lexi, it's your turn," Skidmore said.

"All right. I'm going to pick someone who's loyal, will do everything I say, and has pretty hair." Lexi stared at Paisley.

"Yay!" Paisley got the hint. "Now, for this scavenger hunt, I should tell you that I do not have a hunting license."

"(Y/n), you're on my team," Chyna decided.

"What? No! I actually tolerate (Y/n)!" Lexi protested.

"I don't know if I should take that as a compliment," I stated.

"You should," Lexi assured me.

I nodded in understanding.

"We get (Y/n)," Chyna said confidently.

Lexi huffed. She headed toward the door, but a zombie-looking figure walked up to the frame. Lexi ran back to us as we ran toward the desk. Fletcher grabbed my hand and gripped it tightly. Chyna walked up to the woman, unbothered.

"Mrs. Mills. You obviously ate the tuna fish. Take a sick day," Chyna insisted.

~~~

"Okay. To discover the first item you need to find, unscramble these letters."

"Okay. Obviously not my field," I said, pacing around the Ant Farm.

"Boom. Solved it," Olive said after a moment. "White mouse. So obvious. What else could it be?"

~~~

"Principal Skidmore!" We ran into the room. We sighed in defeat. Lexi had already given her a white computer mouse. We were going to give her the same thing.

"Congratulations to Lexi's team. They've won the first round!"

Lexi cheered. "Lexi, Lexi, she's the best! So much better than the rest. Especially Chyna!"

"Yeah? Well, it's not over until the fat lady sings." Chyna smirked. "Don't you dare!"

I hummed a bit. Paisley cheered. "It's over!"