Chapter 39

I took Aaron's hand and led him around my house, or rather what was left of it. We walked for a while until we reached an area free of the burn. I sat on the ground and I pulled him down with me.

He plopped onto the lush grass. I laid back and patted the ground to tell him to lay back with me. When he did, I let out a deep breath. "This is where I did most of my thinking," I began.

"When my mother was discouraging, my father wasn't around, Harry was mean, Penelope was annoying, Francesca was loud, or whenever I needed to be free and think, I would come out here. This spot is where I would come almost every day my entire life, until the selection came."

"I think this is the place I miss most," I laughed in realization. "I could be whoever I wanted to be. I didn't have to be a two, a Carams, or anything anyone expected me to be. I could be myself, which I didn't get to experience often at home," I said.

"I'm sorry, Elisa," Aaron said unconfidently.

"It's ok," I said softly. I put my hand on his cheek. "You've gotten me to be myself, too."

"I'm glad," he smiled.

We laid there together for what seemed like an eternity, but the sky began to change color as the birds retreated back to their barren trees for the night. We walked back to the car where the guards stood waiting.

The car ride was even longer since we were staying in Krane, a neighboring state of Hampton. There were no hotels left in Hampton, or at least, none we could stay in. We drove thought the capital of the state with tall buildings. We stopped at a place that was nice, but not something the Royal family would stay in publicly.

We walked inside and I pushed my sunglasses up on the bridge of my nose to hide my violet eyes. Aaron and I walked to the front desk where a young woman stood. She had her hair falling past her shoulders, pulled back with several pins.

"Excuse me," Aaron said after clearing his throat.

"Hi," greeted the woman. "Is it just you two?" She asked.

"Yes," Aaron replied.

"Well, you're pretty lucky. That was the last room we have. What are your names?"

"Damon and Anna Smith," he lied. We couldn't have a scandal be posted in Illèa Weekly.

"Top floor; room seven-twenty," she chirped before handing us a key.

"Thank you," I replied.

"You're welcome," she said brightly. "Enjoy your night," she winked.

I turned to the elevator and furrowed my brows. Why had she winked? I dismissed the thought from my mind, thinking she probably had to blink, and I missed the other eye. The hotel elevator dinged as we arrived upon the top floor.

Aaron and I carried our bags and found our room. He unlocked the door with the key and pushed it open. It was a fair sized room with a bathroom, balcony, and sitting area. The one thing that stood out to me was the single queen sized bed in the far side of the room.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. Aaron and I exchanged nervous glances. "Elisa, I'm sorry; I didn't think they'd give us a one bed," he chuckled nervously.

"I didn't either," I choked. "I thought we could pass as siblings," I sighed. That was the reason the girl at the counter winked.

"Well, it's the last room available, so we just have to make the best of it," Aaron said. I nodded my head.

He sat his bag down on the bed and began to hang up his clothes for tomorrow. I fished my pajamas out of my bag and headed into the bathroom. I used the complimentary shampoo bottles to wash my hair, and I towel dried my hair.

I slipped my nightgown over my head. It wasn't flimsy silk, but a plain cotton dress with short sleeves and a skirt that ended mid-thigh. I finished drying the rest of my hair and brushed my teeth. When I took out the tangles in my hair, I exited the bathroom with my clothes in hand.

Aaron had on grey sweatpants, but he had no shirt. I felt a blush rise to my cheeks as I averted my eyes. "I'm sorry," he stuttered. "I didn't think you would be out yet."

"It's not your fault," I squeaked while folding my clothes and stuffing them away in my bag. He slipped his shirt on over his head and went into the bathroom to get ready for bed.

I eyed the velvet pouch sitting on the dresser. I took out the rings and laid them side by side. There was an extra ring in Mother's dresser, so I assumed that would have been Franny's when the time came.

I ran my fingers over the sapphires in my ring, feeling the detail in the metal. I analyzed each ring individually, from Franny's simple amethyst band to my mother's elaborate wedding ring.

The bathroom door reopened and Aaron stepped out. He walked over and put his arms around me. "Are you going to be ok?" He asked softly.

"I think so," I said honestly. "They'd want me to live as I would if this hadn't had happened. I can't let the Patriots break me, either."

"You don't always have to be so strong, Elly," he said before kissing my forehead gently. "It's ok to cry."

I out the rings back in the pouch and drew the strings. "No, actually, it's not," I denied. "It goes against everything I believe in. It shows weakness."

"No, it shows strength and humanity," he replied while taking both of my shoulders into his hands. I looked into his deep blue eyes, their deep color penetrating the barrier I had put up. I leaned my head onto his soft shirt.

"I miss them, Aaron."

"I know," he said comfortingly. "I'll sleep on the couch. Go get into bed."

"No, you are sleeping in that bed, too," I contradicted.

"Wouldn't that be sufficiently awkward?" He smiled with a link tint rising to his cheeks.

As much as I wanted to relish in the rare moment of his blush, I continued. "It's only awkward if you make it awkward," I said.

He nodded his head and we both crept into bed. My shoulder was partially hanging off the side of the bed, yet his arm still brushed mine. I turned out the side lamp so that he wouldn't see my blood-red face.

"Goodnight, Elly," he said roughly.

"Goodnight," I replied before drifting into sleep.