chapter twelve: ghosts of past

You storm through the forest after the Ewoks, knocking away branches and bush with the bow in your hand. Anger, sorrow, confusion, and so many more emotions cloud your mind and you desperately try to wave them away from your conscious.

I need a clear head. I need to think.

The village appears in front of you and you pause, looking sadly over the Ewoks that run around in excitement at the catch of the Trandoshan. If that hunter had found you already, then more are sure to follow. You can't let that happen. The Ewoks live a peaceful life in these forests. You can't be the one to take that away from them

I need to leave.

Stumbling into the camp, you make a beeline for your hut, throwing the curtain aside aggressively in your hurry. You grab the satchel on the table and start to throw essentials into it, packing in clothes and weapons. You pause when the parcel of robes catches your eye. You touch the silver chain of the Jedi charm that sits on the parcel, taking it to clasp the chain around your neck. Emotions still cloud your head and it can be seen in the desperation of your movements as you rush around the small space. The confused chittering of the Ewoks surrounds your hut as they begin to realize your change of disposition. Wiping the beginnings of tears from your eyes, you tuck the parcel into your satchel and continue to hurry around your hut, taking what you can carry. You grab a piece of clothing and pause when you realize that you're holding Mando's shirt. You stare at it for a moment, suddenly realizing that you had left Mando in the forest in your moment of panic and anger. Guilt fills your chest when you realize that you need to leave as soon as possible, regardless of whether Mando is here or not.

It's not like you were going to stay with him and the kid anyway. I need to finish getting my stuff and get to my ship.

Stuffing his shirt into your bag to suppress the thought of him, you call your blaster to your hand from across the room and holster it on your hip. Your mind keeps slipping to the Mandalorian and every time you realize your thoughts, you quickly shake them away to refocus. Swinging your bags over your shoulder, you grasp your bow in your hand and glance around your hut one last time.

Five years... I had actually started to live, not just survive. This place had become my home.

It had given you a break from the act of playing soldier, giving you the chance to stand as a Jedi is meant to be: a bringer of peace. 

And I need to keep that practice, so leaving the Ewoks is the only way to do so. 

A tear slips down your cheek and you push your way out of the hut to hurry through the village, avoiding the Ewoks as much as you can to keep your heartbreak from exploding from your chest. You don't know if you have time to explain and it would be too hard to say goodbye.

Better to just leave to keep them safe. Maybe you'll be back someday.

When you approach the edge of the village, you turn back to give it one last glance. Your heart burns with sorrow as you turn away and break into a run towards your ship, hidden deep in the forest.

~~~

Mando

The hut is empty. 

All of her belongings of value, her clothing, everything. 

Gone. 

She'd even taken the bow and quiver of arrows.

Mando stands at the door of the hut, his heart turning in his chest when he starts to realize what Alora has done. The kid coos in his arms, looking around the hut for the Jedi in confusion.