CHAPTER 77 ↠ a long stay

Staying in the room right next to Alfie's, Bea could hear the sound of the tide as she left the window open and fell asleep to it

The next morning the maid prepared breakfast and said Bea should eat with Alfie, who had to rest in bed still.

"I hear you paint."

"How...?"

"I have people who like to work for a dead man," Alfie repeats what he said the day before. "Those same people didn't mind working for an alive one either. So you paint, you are quite intelligent, despite not using that much, do you?"

"Are you saying that I act stupid or something?"

"I'm saying that you should use that intelligence to help businesses. Don't you think?"

"Well... I would like to work for the Shelby Company, but Aberama forced me to come to London and see if I could live with my sister instead."

"You do something for me, and I do something for you."

"Depends on what you expect me to do."

"There's a piano in another room, painting supplies with come any day now. For now, go and play me some piano, and when I am better, I will teach you about business."

Bea stares at Alfie for a while, wondering if he means it and what exactly he will teach her. Still, it was an interesting proposal. To learn from Alfie Solomons about business and what to do in exchange for a little piano and some paintings, whilst Alfie was stuck in his bed. Also, the location was nice, with the beach right outside the house.

"For how long?" Bea questions.

"I'm not keeping you here, am I? Can barely move so you can just leave whenever, right?"

"I guess so..."

"Right, so when you want to leave and go back to wherever, you can just go. Your loss, anyway, isn't it?"

"I'm not sure. Is it? What will you teach me?"

"I'll teach you enough so that one day you can run your own business."

"Why?"

"Because I can see you are of value. You are smart but so far no one has given you a chance to apply it into important things. I will use that for my favour."

"Your favour?"

"I will...shape you into using that intelligence in a way that I know won't eventually allow you to kill me."