Chapter 40

"Elisa?" a small voice called from the blank darkness. I turned to face the voice, a fierce wind whipping through my hair. Penelope was standing before me.

"Penny," I cried while running to her. As I neared her, she began to frown. "What's wrong Penny? Tell me," I begged. Tears flowed from my eyes at the sight of my dead sister. I wrapped my arms around her in an embrace, but her slender frame didn't move.

"Help me, Elisa," she said monotonously. I pulled back to see her face begin to melt and her flesh burned. I jumped back and screamed as the scent of burnt hair filled my nostrils.

"Help us, Elisa," more voices pleaded. My mother, father, brother, and youngest sister joined Penelope. Soon, they began to melt and burn. "Why can't you save us?"

"I'm sorry!" I screeched with tears flowing continuously.

I collapsed on the ground and pulled my knees to my chest. I began sobbing hysterically. When I looked up, the only thing left in the blank darkness were the five family rings lying on the ground in front of me.

I jerked awake with strong arms around me. I had to think about where I was and what I was doing, and once I did, I realized I was wrapped in Aaron's grasp. I looked up at his restful face, smoothed over and even with sleep. He looked younger while he slept, but I suppose most of us do.

I tried to wriggle out of his death-tight grip on me, and after minutes of struggling, he began to stir. I was out of his arms by then, and I had risen from bed. I pulled my nightgown down as far as it could go, straining the material.

He rose from the bed and mechanically slipped into the bathroom. When I heard the shower water begin to run, I knew I was safe to change. I slipped into a nice day dress that I would have worn when I was at home.

The home that didn't exist anymore.

I allowed the realization sink in, letting the thought remain in my brain. I went to a nearby mirror in front of the dresser and began doing my makeup. I didn't do much; just eyeshadow, eye liner, and mascara. I brushed through the tangles in my hair, leaving behind soft curls.

The bathroom door opened and Aaron appeared in his usual attire of a dress shirt and black trousers. He was barefoot, which was an odd sight to see. He smiled at me awkwardly, causing a blush to rise across my face.

"Good morning," he said.

"Good morning," I managed to reply. While he packed his remaining items, I took a step out onto the balcony.

The wind blew through my hair while I toyed with my necklace. It was my piece of Uncle Darry, and I let it sink in. Uncle Darry was gone, too. Everyone was.

Aaron came out onto the balcony and stood next to me. "This isn't nearly as nice as the rooftop, is it?" He joked.

"No, it's not," I giggled. "It's also nice to get out of the palace, though."

"I hadn't been out of the castle in 3 years," Aaron said.

"Are you serious?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes," he replied. "They think it's dangerous to leave, which it is."

"I don't know where I'm going to go when this is over," I sighed. "I don't have a home anymore."

"What are you talking about?" He said. "I already told you; you're staying at the palace for a very long time," he said assuringly as he took one of my hands into his.

"And so are Kiara, Danielle, and the rest of the girls."

"That's why I'm announcing the Elite after the funerals."

"You're what?" I gasped.

"I'm announcing the Elite," he clarified. "I'd announce the final three, if they'd let me."

"How can you be so sure? It's only been a few months," I asked.

"You just know, sometimes. I can't really describe it." We stayed out on the balcony for a few minutes longer, looking out over the large city. The traffic below was stiff, with honking horns and angry drivers.

"We should probably get back to the palace," I suggested.

"Of course," he replied after clearing his throat. We both went back inside and zipped up the last of our bags. I slipped on my wedges and we made our way to the front counter downstairs.

The same girl that was there last night was there again this morning. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail, keeping it out of her way. We both went to the front counter, and Aaron put the key on the counter.

"Did you enjoy your stay?" She asked mischievously.

"Yes, thank you," Aaron replied with a light blush. I felt my cheeks redden.

"We hope to see you again, Mr. and Mrs. Smith," she called as we exited out the doors.

Aaron and I both laughed hysterically as we went to the car, which was parked down the street. The driver was inside, and he took us to the airport. The city was full of life, and I could take all of it in since there was a lot of traffic.

"Are you happy you came?" Aaron asked while squeezing my hand.

"Yes," I replied. "I'm happy that you came with me. I don't know if I would have been able to face this alone."

"I'll always be here when you need me, Elly," he responded. He kissed the knuckles of my hand, and I leaned into his shoulder.

We got onto the jet that would bring me back to the castle. Aaron and I buckled our seat belts. "What time will you be returning?" I questioned, remembering that he was supposed to be in Italy.

"The next time you see me will be on the report tonight."

"That's tonight?" I groaned.

"Yes," he laughed. The next few hours of the plane ride consisted of light conversation and jokes.

"I'm announcing the Elite tonight," Aaron declared randomly.

"Tonight?" I felt my throat go dry. I knew he was going to do it soon, I just didn't think he would do it that quickly.

"After the report," he beamed. "It will all be over soon, Elly."

That's what I'm afraid of, I thought to myself.