Chapter 15 - Groveling's a Good Start

Chapter Song: Falling by Harry Styles

                                         Michael
I had the weirdest dream last night.

Evelyn came to my apartment and kept knocking on my door over and over again asking if I was alright. I told her-

Shit.

Shit shit shit shit shit.

Evelyn.

I was supposed to see her last night.

I unplug my phone and unmute it: 5 missed calls and 9 messages.

No no no...

8:20 p.m.
Ev ⭐️: Hey
Ev ⭐️: Are you still coming over?

9:00 p.m.
Ev ⭐️: Can you please text me back or return my calls so I know you're okay?

9:15 p.m.
Ev ⭐️: Michael?

10:45 p.m.
Ev ⭐️: Either you just stood me up or something is really wrong
Ev ⭐️: And seeing as how you don't seem like the kind of guy to stood me up then I'm thinking that something is wrong

12:08 p.m.
Ev ⭐️: I was wrong
Ev ⭐️: Don't call me back. I won't respond

No. This can't be happening. How was I so stupid to forget that our date was last night. She seemed so excited to, it's all she talked about all week.

I'm a terrible person. I hope she forgives me. I don't know if I would've forgiven me, though. I certainly don't deserve it. But I have to try.

I need to talk to her. I will grovel for her her attention alone if I have to. I need to make this right. She doesn't deserve to be treated that shitty.

I text her back but she doesn't answer. I even try and call her.

She stayed true to her word.

~~~

I open the door to Clairo's and see Evelyn instantly. Even in a crowd of thousands of people I would be able to find her instantly.

But she looks different today.

That glow she always carries around herself and the slight bounce in her step is nowhere to be seen. She hasn't turned around to see that it's me in the doorway yet. But when she does, I'm afraid to see the look on her face.

"Hi," Evelyn starts, greeting me with a cheery voice that was so convincing I almost believed it was real. "What can I-"

Her smile falls when she turns around and sees me. I fear I might drop to my knees in front of everyone and beg for her not to look at me like she is now, eyes full of sadness, betrayal, and anger.

"Ev," I start, unsure of what to say to make things better. "I'm so sor-"

"Do you want your usual?"

What? Why is she asking-

Oh. That's not good.

"Ev-"