21 - Ledge Hopping

Sagittaria

Sagittaria

I like being underestimated. It lets me listen in on conversations I'm not supposed to hear. And although everyone knows not to underestimate me ... they do it anyway, subconsciously. Carina, for example, should've known that I'd be listening in to her arguments with Scorpio. And let me tell you, I found out a lot. It's time to interrogate Aquaria — well. Later.

You know, if I survive. But the point is that even a giant bull creature made of flames underestimates me. Which I find insulting. It doesn't look at me as I crouch behind a boulder. Everyone runs, everyone hides.

I sneak a glance and notice Caprice freezing, turning, and ducking behind a smaller rock. Her glasses slip off her nose and she shoves them back up.

I watch the creature charge Miasma. With a flick of her hand a wave of air rolls towards it. Caprice bites her lip, and hisses words I can hardly hear.

"You idiot!"

The flames only spiral higher. Oh, that was dumb. Miasma doesn't even try to draw the knife. And then it occurs to me. One twenty–ish girl can't hold off this monster. She won't survive unless she runs.

So, we have to make her run. I glance around — did everyone run except me and Caprice?

No. Leo crouches behind another rock, but literally everyone else ran. I don't look too hard, though, for fear of being noticed.

"Cappy!" I hiss as Miasma dives out of the way of a snatching tentacle of fire that coils towards her, reaching from the flank of the bull creature. And I'd like to know where the mosquito creature vanished to.

Caprice's expression clearly states that she does not appreciate my nickname for her. One of us has to get up there and grab Miasma. Forcefully.

So, who's the smallest? And the answer is me. I'm short. And I hate it.

I sigh and then begin to crab–walk my way behind another jutting boulder. My muscles burn, but I try to get as close as I can, until I can pick out the individual strands of Miasma's raven–black hair. And then I shoot a tongue of fire into the air from my hand; the bull turns in my direction and Leo dives for Miasma as he pulls her away.

And now I have to distract it. Not the way I'd like to end my life. I take a deep breath, stand, and coldly state, "Hello. And goodbye."

And that is so lame. Oh, yeah, and my voice kind of trembled in the middle.

I spread my hands; as the bull approaches slowly, flames leaping towards me, I redirect them with trembling hands.

And then a tongue of fire whips my arm. I open my mouth, ready to scream in pain; but nothing's there. No pain, no burn.

I take one glance at the bull, flames leaping higher than ever, and run. The path back trails downwards, and I remember the root raised a little bit above the path too late. My foot hits it, I trip, and flail to keep myself from falling.