Chapter 39

I hold her hand in mine as just a little bit of color appears on her body again.

———

Wednesday night Athena fell into a coma, it's Saturday now.

I haven't gone to school and have only gotten up from this chair to shower and change clothes.

Athena's injuries are all healing well according to the doctors and there have been a few signs of her waking up.

She has squeezed my hand a couple of times back when I squeezed hers. The first time it happened, I started screaming for a doctor to come here, telling him that she was going to wake up but he told that it was a false alarm, something about her muscle reflex or something. I don't really know? I was practically devastated when he told me that.

He said that it could take weeks, months maybe in some extreme cases even years for her to wake up.

But I don't know...

Those squeezes she gives back are when I'm telling her things, it's like she's actually listening or something, it probably sounds crazy and stupid but I like to think that.

Vincenzo came back after a couple of hours with bruised knuckles and blood covering his white shirt.

He didn't say anything to us, he just got into the shower and came out with fresh clothes on and his knuckles wrapped in bandages.

As I said before, I haven't been to school, neither have the twins.

My brothers who actually work are doing it on their laptops for now.

The only time someone leaves this hospital, is to get some food.

We're a fucked up family aren't we, just staying here waiting for her to wake up any time.

We take turns with sitting next to her.

We sit down and tell her about random stuff or sit there quiet. Just caressing her hand, hoping she'll wake up.

I know Vincenzo will want that me and the twins going back to school in less than a week, he doesn't want us failing our school year and stuff.

I get that, I wouldn't want my brothers falling their school either.

Vincenzo is more than a brother, he's more like a father figure to most of us.

Dad didn't take care of us so he did. He did everything for us until dad left and Vincenzo took everything over.

Eventually he stopped being around too, just like father though.

Athena's phone has been ringing for a few days now. Not wanting to disturb her privacy, I let it ring until it stopped.

Her phone rang a lot yesterday and it has been doing the same thing for the last 5 minutes.

I slowly flip her phone over to see who's calling her.

Ares.

Ares?...oh he's that boy that took care of Athena right.

"Ena, that guy Ares has been calling you for days so I'm just going to pick up real quick. Don't be mad at me" I mutter.